Melaleuca quinquenervia

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Melaleuca quinquenervia

Post by squizzy »

Hi all,

This is my first post of a melaleuca so am happy to hear thoughts on what I should or shoulnt be doing as far as this species is concerned.

The other reason for posting is that it is a group planting which I am also new to. Please let me have it when it comes to critique as I would like to know where I can improve.

Cheers

Squizz
iphone140512 008.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca

Re: Melaleuca quinquenervia

Post by Craig »

:gday: squizzy, as the group stands now , the 3 trees in red circles do not fit into the group. they stand alone, which maybe if they were older and thicker might work but they are not. The group stands too far to the rear of your pot and although the group appears to have depth, it does not . Either you'll need to alter the way the trees are planted by bring small trees to the front or larger trees closer to the front. It is also good to have larger trees closer to the center of the group which you sort would have if you reduce the heights of the thinner trunks. What i like is that you can see all the trunks from the front, it is also impotant to be able to see most if not all of them from all sides and less importantly (but still important) from the cross angles.

Quinquinervia love water, as much as the can grow in wet ground all year long, i have seen this. Aphids love the new shoots as usual and they do back bud more freely than some other Mels.

good start mate , it'll improve with time and as you learn more about how it grows,
Sqizzy-quinquinervia group.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Craig on May 14th, 2012, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by squizzy »

Thanks for that Craig

I have a few spare trees still so I could shuffle things around and repost to see what you think

Do I also put larger trees to the front and thinner to the back to create the illusion of distance?

I think I see what you mean by the ones standing alone

Cheers

Squizz
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

G'Day Squizz I have attempted a few groups - they are hard to pull off. Have a look at Harry Harringtons bonsai4me site - he has a very good article on groups. I like to split up a large group into 2 or 3 sub groups and remember to have some trees right up next to each other and others with a larger gap. Good luck :tu:
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

yes Tony is correct about having sub-groups when tree numbers are up. you could easily get away with just 2 sub groups Squizz and trees can be planted as close to each other as you like, even cutting roots from one side altogether so the trunks touch.

There are many ways to build a group, trees can be placed in many different configurations. A very important thing to remember though is , Even groups need direction (flow).

I would maybe have the larger trunked trees in the middle and keep 2 subgroups, the main group i would keep alot of the bigger trees together and the second smaller group i would only have 1 or 2 bigger trees in it but keep it smaller in height than the main group, then have the others gathered around them , front , back and sides to give depth and perspective.
Last edited by Craig on May 14th, 2012, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheNumber13
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by TheNumber13 »

I like this thread, as I have many small melaleucas now; I have been considering a group. You look to have a decent start there.

Thankyou for posting it, and especially thanks to the clear and easy to understand recomendations you've received. Gotta love this community :tu:
Cheers,
Pat

(Grow little ones, grow.)
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by squizzy »

Thanks for the advice guys,

Appreciated.

I have altered the lay out slightly by moving some of the planting further to the front and grouping some closer together. Its very difficult because as you do this you change the dynamics of the trees alignments. I fell changing one thing ipacts 10 other things about the layout. I think the trees no longer look isolated but some do look congested and hidden. I will continue to tweak this I guess as I go.

I think the thickness of the trees is hard so resolve now so that will happen in time possibly by removing some trees as it grows and replacing with new thinner trees. I have selected the trees from 2 batches at a tube stock nursery so it should be easy enough to grab more fresh ones in a years time or so.

I have addecd 2 new trees to the mix which takes it to 19 which I am not sure is a good thing but it will be easy enough to remove those that dont work in the future.

I love the challange so far of a group but its probably not a great style for someone like myself as I tend to over analyse the trees which causes me to make irrational cuts and removals. ( hard to control). Its quite possible that everytime I post something on this group I will have made some sort of change.

Anyway here it is.
iphone 150512 001.jpg
At the moment I am happy with the grouping side of things but unhappy with the flow. As I have said it looks slightly cluttered.

Squizz
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Looking better Squizzy :tu: I would move the 2 trees closest to the middle left over to the group on the right. That would give a bit more space between the 2 sub groups. Down the track I agree it would be good to have some smaller diameter trees.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

squizzy wrote:
At the moment I am happy with the grouping side of things but unhappy with the flow. As I have said it looks slightly cluttered.

Squizz
The main thing is that your happy with it mate, let it recover and enjoy it.

You would probably aim for a Fanned out setting, and look to bring the group closer together, making it tighter. It does not look cluttered to me, it looks very loose. Cheers mate enjoy
squizz.JPG
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Hello again Squizzy, that is not a bad composition for a first up try.
Essential reading and great visuals on the design of group settings can be found in:
Bonsai its Art, Science History and Philosophy - Deborah Koreshoff
The Art of Bonsai - Peter D Adams
Bonsai Landscapes - Peter D Adams

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by squizzy »

Bit of new growth here and some trees didnt make it. I think it looks better in the flesh but you all understand that. I must think about those 2 middle trees at the back and make a call I guess one has gone anyhow through natural selection.
DSC04642.jpg
Squizz
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by squizzy »

Just an update on this group.

Thought a photo might be nice before a haircut.
P1210005.jpg
Squizz
eliass
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Melaleuca quinquenervia

Post by eliass »

Great placement of trees
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all mostly natives
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Newcastle (paid but not regular)

Post by Rintar »

Lookin good mate :cool:
Regards Jason
Not yet a Novice but keen to be one

https://www.instagram.com/backyardbonsaiaustralia/

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by squizzy »

Thanks for the replies.

Something still needs to be added to the right hand group with some more size I feel. Might have to get those books hey Mojo. I new there was something I needed when I was asked what I wanted for Christmas :palm: :palm: :palm:

Squizz

Return to “Australian Native Species”