Eremophila and Correa reflexa..?

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
bonscythe
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Banksia, Melaleuca (Any Aussie Native!)
Bonsai Age: 9

Eremophila and Correa reflexa..?

Post by bonscythe »

Hi all, any body tried these species?
I was given a couple to try but I'm not sure what to do with them really, I don't know what their natural habit/form is so styling is difficult...
Both are in small pots with a few years growth.
Cheers - Pat
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: Eremophila and Correa reflexa..?

Post by anttal63 »

hey pat how you doin? do you have a common name for them and perhaps some photo's that way you might get some replies. me for one i have no idea of these specie what so ever, but i might like to. :D
Regards Antonio:
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Which Eremophila? There are about 28 maybe more some are referred to as EMU bush ( such as Silvery emu bush some are referred to as Tar bush also ).
Some like a heavy soil some an acid soil others a well drained. So it is important to know which one you are trying to Bonsai.

Your Correa reflexa has the common name of Native Fuchsia. It is native to all of the Eastern states.
It likes a light to medium soil. Moist cool semi shaded area. Now this part might cause some problems it is frost resistant but drought tender.
An evergreen scrub, grows to around 2 metres it is mostley an upright scrub with alternate leaves.
Flowers are red or green .
I have never grown one as a Bonsai and do not know any one who has.
Going by there growth habits I should imagine they would do OK though. I hope this of some help . :) Pup
Last edited by Pup on May 5th, 2009, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Kunzea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Too many!
Bonsai Age: 47

Post by Kunzea »

Hi Bonsycthe
Good to see you experimenting with unusual bonsai material.

I agree with Pups comments on it is important to know which species you are dealing with (the Eremophilas).

Yes, both Eremophila and Correa have been tried as bonsai.

The flowers of the correa are so stunning with their pendant bell shapes and bright colours, having them in bonsai form is what stimulates people to try them. They are happy in pot culture - no special needs, just usual well drained, but not droughty soil. They shoot back on old wood regularly so they are pretty happy with most pruning regimes it seems. The greatest drawback to bonsai culture is that they don't seem to produce fat trunks, even when grown in the ground where there is lots of root space. So, if you are particularly wedded to the idea that a good bonsai will have a thick, tapering trunk, then correas are probably not for you. If you let your artistic side have a bit of space, then you may well create one of those 'artistically styled miniature trees in a pot' that people call bonsai. But be prepared for some not overly supportive comments from those who take a somewhat narrower view of what constitutes a good bonsai. There are a range of options regarding styling, so have fun and let us know what you do.

Eremophilas are also good bonsai material. There are a lot of species and I don't know if some just won't work for some particular reason, but many have been tried to good effect. I know that E. maculata is one of the most commonly sold at nurseries and comes in a variety of colour forms from reds to yellows. It responds very well to pruning and shoots readily from old wood. It is very drought hardy, but you can of course go too far with even this species. So just treat it as well as you would any bonsai. The bark on this species is a real feature in a pot. I saw a splendid example on display at the AABC conference in Sydney in 2000. The bark was a pale, yellowish, slightly corky one. It contrasted well with the bright green leaves and almost luminescent yellow flowers that hung below the leaves. That plant unfortunately died, but it stimulated me to try for myself and I was most happy with the results. I know that people in South Australia have had excellent success with several Eremophila species as bonsai. It is worth having a go. An informal style is good. Don't be too hung up on the arbitrary categories of formal/informal/slanting/semi-cascade/full-cascade etc. Consider that most of these species come from inland Australia. Think about the habitat out there and see what you can find out about what shapes the trees and shrubs take, especially as they get old. Use those thoughts to help you shape your Eremophila and it will help to evoke some harsh but stunningly beautiful landscapes.

Cheers
Kunzea
bonscythe
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Banksia, Melaleuca (Any Aussie Native!)
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by bonscythe »

Thanks for the replies guys, I've been unable to do alot except browse because of the ridiculous load of uni assessments and the forthcoming exam period has had me in some bother.
Got some pictures of them now...
CorreaReflexa 17-4-09.jpg
Haven't done alot to this one yet, just some tip pruning to stimulate more ramification and flower production (is this true?). It's very tiny so I don't know what to do except wait a few years! haha.

Here's the Eremophilia, I haven't had any success in determining what the species is =(
It has reddish coloured flowers if that helps (maybe I should ask my Botany lecturer..).
Eremophilia 17-4-09.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kunzea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Too many!
Bonsai Age: 47

Post by Kunzea »

Hi Bonscythe
I'm having a bit of a problem compiling a reply. I was using voice recognition software, and every so often the 'reply' screen just disappears. Frustrating.

Your photos look good. You might like to consider shaping the correas trunk now while the stem is young, as the wood gets a bit brittle as it gets older. It is still possible to bend, but it gets riskier in my experience.

Yes, tip pruning should increase ramification with the correa. You may get buds in the few leaves behind the cut/pinch, so don't just tip prune a long branch if you want branching further back. Regular tip pruning during summer while it is growing should be good. flowers are produced on this year's wood, but late in summer or early autumn. So you may need to stop before this time of year or you will prune away the flower buds.

The eremophila looks like a winner. I can't be sure, but my first guess would be E. maculata. Do ask your botany lecturer or nearest nursery that sells native species. It has much potential as either an informal upright if you tip it up, or as a semi-cascade if you develop the lieing down stance it currently has.

Much luck, and hang in there with that uni course - it will pay you good dividends.

Cheers
Roger
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by Luke308 »

Has anyone had any more experience with the Eremophila?

My local club was donated 40 tube stock trees from the Arid botanical gardens in Port Augusta to try as bonsai.

I got one with small purple flowers which I think could look nice as a bonsai.

Id be interested to hear of peoples experience with these please
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS

Return to “Australian Native Species”