Daintree Pine (Gymnostoma australianum)- Literati?

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Daintree Pine (Gymnostoma australianum)- Literati?

Post by dansai »

Hi All,

I have recently potted up some of my trees to create what I consider my first real bonsai. I know this is not technically the best tree but I have a soft spot for it.
First Pot.jpg
What do you think?

Also in another thread raewynk asked about air layering a Daintree Pine. Anyone had success with these?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Daintree Pine (Gymnostoma australianum)- Literati?

Post by Elmar »

Wow, very striking!
Might be a bit leggy, but I liked it straightaway...

Cheers
EZ
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Yes very leggy. It hasn't thickened much since I've had it. Even when leaving it to grow. Others I've seen in gardens tend to be slender aswell. So, work with what you got I say.

Has any one else got any they have been working with??
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

A pic of a young plant showing typical christmas tree appearance.
gymnostoma-australiana-11.jpg
From the pic it looks quite promising although I have found branches to get leggy with lovely pine like growth on the tips giving the christmas tree appearance, but branches are thin with growth far from the trunk and the trunk slow to increase in girth. Although with pruning they do produce new growth closer into the trunk.

I'm going to have a go at air layering another one I have and maybe get hold of a few more plants from a local grower who grows from cuttings. He has had no success from seed. Neither have I.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

I like your tree.
It looks a bit different and certainly no cookie cutter Bonsai.

Have you thought about putting some wire and shape into your branches?
I think this would certainly take it to the next level.

P.S. I think formal upright would be a more appropriate style classification than Literati.
Last edited by Boics on February 9th, 2014, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
raewynk
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Styrax,juniper,pine,anything that has a leaf on it
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: bonsaiempire.com

Post by raewynk »

Dansai, thank you again, for the new thread.

This one I got recently and again very leggy but I love the curve in the trunk.
The foliage is fantastic.
But the tree is 1.2 m from the top of the pot, I would have to lose a third I would think.
As you said promote the lower growth.
Picture is not very clear. Will take more tomorrow.

Happy to take advice.
Regards
Rae
My grey hair is my solar panel, as with the leaf on the bonsai is theirs.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

They are strongly apically dominant in both the trunk and the branches. They will produce a new leader very easily and pump energy to it, thickening the new leader well. However I have found branches very slow to thicken.

Looking at yours it looks like a similar growth pattern, thin branches with tufts of "foliage" at the ends. I say "foliage" because the needle like bits are actually stems and the leaves are tiny scales at the junctions of the stem segments. They will produce new foliage back close to the trunk, but only cut back slowly if thats what you want. Don't cut back past green as in my experience the branch dies and drops within a few days leaving a little divot in the trunk. Thats why I have a bare trunk with foliage on the top of mine.

They do produce new growth on the trunk though, but I have been rubbing mine off to keep the style mine already has. May let my other one have its head and put a layer on it. It is only small and I have less to lose than you. I can then let you know how it goes.

dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Thanks Boics.

As for wire I did look at that before posting by just holding them down and it looked better. However, I have a vague memory I lost branches after wiring them. I'll try on my other tree first and see the response.

raewynk
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by raewynk »

Thanks Dansai,

My biggest concern is losing the tree. Such a nice species.
The lower branches have begun to brown off so not sure that it is the healthiest at this point so I might have to delay and gather more info. on the way.

Regards
Rae

:reading:
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Hi Rae

Browning off may be water. With a pot that size, once it has dried out it will be hard to rewet. Lift it up. If it feels a bit light and top heavy, even after a water, then soak it in tub of water over the top of the pot.

Another way to check is to lift the tree and knock the pot off. It should fall away and leave the potting mix as a solid mass around the roots of the tree. Check if it is wet all the way through. Sometimes when pots dry out the potting mix shrinks a little and you can water and water and water and it all just runs down the side of the pot leaving the potting mix dry.

If this is not the case, then it could be just the trees natural tendency to be apically dominant. In this case trim the top back fairly hard and leave the bottom branches.

Regardless of what has been the cause, a good soak in Seasol is always beneficial.

Good Luck and keep on growing. :tu:
Dan

raewynk
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by raewynk »

Thanks Dan I will try that this evening. Appreciative of the advice .

Sent from my GT-S5300 using Tapatalk 2
raewynk
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by raewynk »

Have just found a plague of green grass hoppers on the Daintree pine, wondering what effect this has on the tree. Found them eating all the new needle tips.

Anyone having the same problems with them?????? I am talking about at least ten of them at this stage and increasing each time I check it every few days.

Maybe I could employ them to do all the trimming for all the bonsai's for me. :lol:

Regards
Rae
raewynk
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by raewynk »

Thanks Dansai for the advice I have repotted, the roots were so bound together it was like cement almost.
I have hosed off and loosened as much I could and a few of the roots have come loose, (I always forget to take pictures while I am doing this.)
The Daintree has instantly over the last hour got a lot more colour to the foliage.

Again thank you I will let it recover and see what happens about spring (maybe) before making a choice as to whether I proceed with the bonsai chop.

I will put up some photos soon.

Regards
Rae :worship: :D
MrSnoopy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by MrSnoopy »

I like the tree :D Really interested in seeing it in a few years time... Also this made up my mind about buying one... Im on my way to the nursery tomorrow to buy one... here's hoping the one I liked is still there :fc:

All in all... A solid tree dansai... like Redemption said, might be a bit leggy, but definitely one id be proud to have in my collection :tu: :tu:
If a man works on his bonsai alone and speaks, and his wife doesn't hear him, is he still wrong?
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Hi Rae

Did you prune roots? The one I have in this post was in a larger pot for awhile and I noticed it was a bit loose. I repotted it and found at least 15 curl grubs and no feeder roots. I thought for sure it was a goner. But with a repot and firm tie in it produced many new roots and I repotted into the above pot recently. In all the time the curl grubs were active there was no sign on the top of anything wrong. Although it has grown more strongly since. It has always had at least light shade.

I'm not recommending that you do a severe root chop, but it does make me wonder how much root it is possible to remove when repotting. Hence I asked the question of wether you did a root prune as I'm interested in the trees response to various levels of root pruning.

Cheers
Dan

Return to “Australian Native Species”