Yamadori Callistamon stump

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Yamadori Callistamon stump

Post by wattynine »

This was my first collected tree, around 8 or 9 years ago, the hollow up the middle was there but not as obvious so that has been enlarged.
I have grown three "tops" on this thing and haven't been happy with any so cut them off and started again, pretty happy with this one so far, though it needs some thickening up and some branch development.
CIMG4417.JPG
CIMG4418.JPG
CIMG4419.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Yamadori Callistamon stump

Post by wattynine »

Been a while since I updated this one.
I thought up until a few days ago the update was going to be another dead tree, "killed by over experimenting"
This was restyled and re-potted back on the 3rd August and literally everyday I was home I was going down checking for new buds and every time I went away this was the first tree I came back too.
Every other Callistemon I have done since and some I did before have "leafed" back no problems, this one delayed and delayed until I thought I had gone too far. I have just been away for eight days and gave my wife instructions of all the plants to keep an eye out for and look after for fear of drought was this one.
HAHA, Fear not, having returned new shoots have just appeared and are covering the tree. Trying not to be cocky, I know where that has got me before, but I remain confident.
Just a little continuance of this trees survival, about 6 months ago I was watering or fertilising, I don't remember which and the hose caught in the branches, ripped it straight off the shelf and shook a good portion of the dirt from the roots, a quick re-pot and watering and it survived but wasn't happy.
The pot was a result of me messing about with cement, ciment fondu, concrete colouring and chicken wire, not the first I created but one of about 6 or so, success??? Hmmm lets see what the forum says.

the tree on Aug 2015
12 0815.JPG
and Aug this year
13.1 0816.jpg
and so it begins
14.1 0816.jpg
15 0816.jpg
16 0816.jpg
17 0816.jpg
18 0816.JPG
19 0816.jpg
20 0816.JPG
and me trying to be artistic with my phone, to close
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wattynine »

At the recently attended Rockhampton show they had an area where you could take a semi-professional photo so while I had the chance I took it and the opportunity to update this thread'
thanks for looking
Watty
NINE 6.jpg
FruitFly
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything, cause I'm new
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by FruitFly »

Looks great, lots of character.

Please keep us updated.
Enthusiasm on Fire is Better than Knowledge on Ice

Return to “Australian Native Species”