Lophostemon grandiflorus

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Lophostemon grandiflorus

Post by wattynine »

Don't think I have posted this before except as the last photo in the Tony Bebb in Townsville post
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=20280&hilit=+townsville
Anyhoo along with the other recently updated tree of the same name I thought I would post this with some foliage on it now,
likewise a little wiring, a little trimming and some spring growth.

The plan for this will be a very natural setting in between granite rock slabs, just waiting for the leaves to harden off a little before I play again. the rocks in question can be seen here.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=19141&hilit=+granite
CIMG5549.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Re: Lophostemon grandiflorus

Post by wattynine »

So best laid plans huh, decided against the granite slab pot due to difficulty of control of watering.
The main reason it was on its side was due to the roots being there when collected so there it stayed.
Decided to get it upright and train some roots in a downward and re-style in an upright position.
here's a small progress
hope you enjoy
Watty
into an upright position May this year
7.1 0516.jpg
8.1 0516.jpg
cleaned up, carved and treated and a bigger training pot to build a better nebari
09 0516.jpg
10 0516.jpg
and as of today with new shoots pinched back
11.1 0916.jpg
12.1 0916.jpg
13.1 0916.jpg
14.1 0916.jpg
15.1 0916.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca

Re: Lophostemon grandiflorus

Post by Steve B »

Big improvement for mine on pushing this upright wattynine. I think it could look fantastic with a nice thick canopy on it, particularly if you can encourage it to flower! I remember seeing these in flower on Magnetic Island one year - could be pretty impressive on a larger bonsai.

I like your new training pot too. Looks like the retainer/saucer for a large plastic pot? I've got a couple planted out in these too. Worked well for encouraging some nebari on a couple of bigger stumps/cuttings.

Return to “Australian Native Species”