calistemon dig

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

calistemon dig

Post by peterb »

Hi everyone , dug up this callistemon today not sure what type it is so if anyone could id it , it would be great. I was thinking of a group planting but I've got to get it to survive first, as seen from the photos not much root so I'm hoping it will pull through :fc: Other than lots of seasol does anyone have any magic tips that will help. Ultimately it would need to be shorter should I cut it now or leave to recover first and then work on it. If it rcovers would I be able to ground layer it on the lignotuber to have a shallower root spread
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Re: calistemon dig

Post by Kevin »

Hello Peterb,

That crown definitely grabbed my attention. Where did / type of ground did you find your Yamadori? Was it growing over a rock? There is age in your bottlebrush.

And there aren't many roots. I am no bonsai expert, but i do know from experience that many established natives will not tolerate too much root disturbance. I presently have my fingers crossed - big time. Maybe someone with experience in callistemon Yamadori will help there.

As for magic - there is none unfortunately. Horticultural knowledge and horticultural knowledge specifically on the plant species involved is the best advice i can recommend - search this site and read about other members stories similar to yours.

Advice in regards to any additives you are thinking about applying to any plant - ALWAYS FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CONTAINED WITH THE PRODUCT - never more.

Again, someone with more specific experience may help - generally speaking - a balance is required between roots and foliage as there is a physiological connection between the two. Wiki talks about plant physiology too, worth reading.

Good luck, love your plant but be patient.

Kevin
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

I've dug a few bottlebrush in my time and can say that they will survive with just a few roots, but their progression is slow. That said the bones you have are good and generally bottlebrush dug in the warmer part of the year appear to have an improved chance of survival.
My advice is put it away for 2 years with just water for the first six months and then some native specific fertilizer after that. Moving the pot around, playing with the trunks or foliage while it is recovering appears to be detrimental so it would be a "hands off" project for a while.
The most difficult we do after a dug is to keep our hands off and I have learnt that the hard way over the years.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hi guys, Kevin it was growing in someone's backyard and they wanted it gone . I'll tell you something though it's gloves for me when i dig now, you should have seen the enormous adelaide funnel web underneath it and was she feisty ( yep adelaide has a funnel web to not as deadly as Sydney's but still a very nasty bite )
Thanks for the advice watto , I'm more than happy to leave it be for the next few years, just hope it makes it :fc:
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hi Kevin, apologies mate just realised that I didn't answer your question properly ( I was still freaked out by the size of the spider and it"s aggression , wish I'd taken a photo ) . As stated it was in someones back yard , the soil was sandy which I think is why there aren't to many roots up near the surface . I've cut off most of the foliage to ease the burden on the few roots remaining so :fc: I'm going to try get a clump style going as there are quite a few trunks and not all the same thickness , they all tend to lean towards one side except 1or 2 which I'll discard. Well that's the plan anyway , but for now I'll just let it be to recover . I'm going to have to call on the experts here when the time comes as to how one gets the root ball shallower but that is way down the path . Thanks for the positive words
peterb
Last edited by peterb on February 5th, 2016, 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kevin »

G'day Peter,

From memory - "that .... definitely caught my attention".

I think i called it a crown at the time and you called it a lignotuber. I believe the correct word would be 'bole'. But, doesn't matter now - we both knew what each other were referring too.

Ave a good one.

Kevin
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hi everyone
Just an update, before I went overseas for thr month of December there was lots of buds all over the trunks. I learnt from last year not to trust my trusty neighbor to much as I lost 6 trees last year. So I set up automatic water sprayers and took my best trees over to some of my bonsai friends , just so we have the background to the story. Well it appears that I bunched my trees up a bit to much and maybe this one didn't get enough water or light and all the buds bar 2 have died, do you think it's cactus :crybye: or is there a chance of recovery :fc: . Thanks for any feedback
Cheers
Peterb
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kevin »

Hello Peter,

Two buds is positive and i'm sure it'll pull through.

Good luck :fc:
Kevin
Last edited by Kevin on January 7th, 2017, 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hi Kevin
Last 2 buds have turned brown, :( I'll keep watering but I'm fearing the worst.
cheers
peterb

Return to “Australian Native Species”