Bonsai pot colours

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Bonsai pot colours

Post by melbrackstone »

I know I've mentioned this before, noting how so many of the Australian native trees were in dull brown pots, and PeterH mentioned that's the guideline for evergreens. (Plus the majority of large pots seem to be those tones.)

Since there is more and more of a push to get Australian natives out there, do any of you think that we could put some more pizazz into the presentation, and match the pots to the amazing new growth colours we get on our native trees?

Is that too far out of the box to consider?

Personally, I think we're extremely lucky to have so many fancy colours in our evergreens, and when they have their brilliant new clothes on, a matching pot could be a hell of an eye opener!

Thoughts?

Oh, and we would need to work on our Aussie potters to start making bigger coloured pots. ;)
Last edited by melbrackstone on April 21st, 2016, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Bonsai pot colours

Post by alpineart »

Hi mel' , mate rules and guidelines aren't followed here , anything goes . A pots a pots and if it looks pleasing to the eye and balance or compliments the tree then that's good enough for me , no "Lemming Syndrome"here never has been and never will be . I'm about to put a Pink Ironbark into a bright blue pot !! ??. If the tree fits and the pot compliments the tree then I use it .

Personal opinion differs with everyone but the rules don't seem to suit some of our natives in my opinion and that's only my opinion but it suits me .

Cheers . Alpineart
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Yeah, pretty much what Alpine says.

I'm surprised if someone says aussie natives should only be in brown plain pots, but perhaps it was misquoted or something. Pat Kennedy pots are often beautifully littered with ash glazes, that have splotched colouring throughout the glaze. Penny davis pots are beautifully coloured to rememble rocks and landscape, sometimes with lichen on them etc.

I certainly have never adopted a one size fits all philosophy to anything with our trees and pots.
As Alpine says, there are so many different options you can go with:

I actually think Eucs look their best in either white / cream / blue / green and a few other colours too. It is all up to the owner. You can have a Euc that has lovely colours on its new bark, which looks stunning with a simple brown pot, or you can match it with a Pat Kennedy ash, or a Tokoname oribe green type glaze etc. The world is your oyster. :tu2:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
JaseH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedar, Natives, Prunus, Maples
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Waverly, BSV, VNBC

Post by JaseH »

Anything may go but it doesn't mean it works aesthetically!

I'm not aware of the rule that our trees should be in brown pots - but the pot should compliment the tree without overpowering it, which usually means subdued earthy tones, or a palette that picks up on or compliments the species bark or leaf colours. Loud trees(bright flowers/bark or leaf color, or highly textured bark etc.) can get away with louder pots, but we must always remember that its about the tree! If the pot draws too much of the attention then we've failed!

Brown is usually a safe bet for evergreens so possibly it is common because it's an easy choice - but its certainly not always the best.
‘The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The next best time is now.’
~Chinese Proverb

Hachinoki Bonsai Pottery: FB | WEB
Marz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 18

Post by Marz »

I agree with Alpine all the way!

Your bonsai is your work of art, nobody should tell you what to put on you canvas!

The only "rule" I follow is this - if the pant is an unusual colour or has bright feature flowers, then, I would keep the pot in a neutral tone and let the plant have all the attention.
However, if the plant is somewhat muted in colour then its ok to jazz it up with a bright pot. But this is just my opinion, do what your heart enjoys to see.

I'd love to see a pic of your Aussie native bonsai!
Marz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 18

Post by Marz »

Just saw what JaseH wrote...
You make a very good point... didn't think of it that way.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Cheers everyone. I'm not saying it's a hard and fast rule, just a guideline for evergreens.

I appreciate your input, and agree that the pot shouldn't take centre stage.

I have just seen so many pics of our aussie natives all in brown pots. It seems such a shame!

I'd love to see some pots that do have touches of brilliant highlights to complement our brightly coloured evergreens in their spring flush of colour. Doesn't have to be 'smash me over the head bright red," but something with flashes of colour, like a black opal, or even less....would be fantastic!

Alpineart, Rory, JaseH and Marz, thanks for your input!

Marz, I'm still beginning, and don't have anything other than brand new, just out of starter pots, natives, but in a year or two I'll hopefully have some worth sharing. Living in the sub tropics means I can't have a lot of deciduous trees, so I'm thinking the natives with colour might be a good option. :)
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Well here's your colour wheel.

They say that you should never use 2 colours which sit next to each other on the wheel That's a big no no!

Opposite colours will give you the most contrast. Either side of the opposite colour is ok too. The closer you get to the colour you are trying to match the bigger the clash.

Seeing most Oz plants are quite sombre evergreens I would personally choose neutral type colours which don't scream at you.
If you have a red flowering Callistemon, then maybe an olive green?

Mike
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

That's kinda my problem though, Mike, because for most of the year the trees are quite sombre and grey greenish... it's often only when they get their fresh flush of new leaves that they can shine, unless they're also flowering plants, which is a whole nother story.

I guess I'm just wondering what would be suggested to bring the pots out of the staid browns, but still not overshadow the plant when it's in its green phase, but still add some pizazz when it's in its new foliage phase, or flowering.

Deciduous trees are regularly put into coloured pots because of their seasonal colouring traits, are they not? When they're fully defoliated, they can still stand up against a brightly coloured pot if they're dramatic enough in ramification and shape? Then in spring they have bright greenish foliage, which could clash if you've gone for a green pot, and then in summer they're green again... talking about trident maple here, since I don't have much experience with other deciduous... so with four different sets of colours over the year, you'd have to pick a colour that would work with the tree for the one time of the year you're going to put it in a show?

I'm heading to Tassie this afternoon, will see if I can find some Launceston or nearby Bonsai nurseries... love to see what they do with their trees there.

Thanks for the colour wheel. :)

Return to “Australian Native Species”