Erimophila maculata

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

Erimophila maculata

Post by Starfox »

I have just had a plant delivery and one of them that has caught my eye is this E. maculata. It is definitely interesting with it's corked bark on the older wood, odd roots and main trunk. That said there is a lot of straight growth to get rid of and ideally I think I would want to force some back budding down lower but am wondering if it would even bud on that older corked wood?
This is the yellow flowered variety too.

I have a had a search and there is not much to be said aside from a couple of encouraging posts so I'm hoping that someone may have a little more info on these as I'm not overly sure it would be worth it?
At the least I can take cuttings for the future but I do find this one quite interesting and to me that is better than boring, plus I reckon there wouldn't be too many of these in training around these parts.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_0534.jpg
IMG_0538a.jpg
IMG_0537.jpg
IMG_0535.jpg
IMG_0536.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moumou
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Erimophila maculata

Post by moumou »

Back buds unpredictably on old wood, best results when healthy and growing strongly mid season.
Touchy with rootwork, best reduced slowly.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

One of the most versatile eremophilas (will tolerate some wet and cold where some others will not) which is probably why they are selling it over there.
I have, however, found them unpredictable - just die off for no apparent reason sometimes - possibly too much water at the wrong time?? I have not experienced problems with back budding but have not tried cutting hard very often.

Good luck with these and let us all know what happens.

Cuttings are relatively easy to strike.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Starfox »

Excellent, thanks for the replies!

So that all sounds encouraging enough to give it a try but also to approach with some degree of caution.
If it gets through the initial settling in period cuttings sound like a good idea to have some back up just in case. It's a lovely tree so I would like more of them anyway.
I will keep keep it updated on anything I do but that wont be until the spring/summer here, we tend to get frost free and low rain winters but do get spring and autumn storms. More worried about losing the E. nivea as the wife has claimed that one and I read that they are even more prone to rot.

Return to “Australian Native Species”