Brachychiton Rupestris Repot and Clean up

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Milo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: banksia, Casuarina, Melaleuca, Euc
Bonsai Age: 20

Brachychiton Rupestris Repot and Clean up

Post by Milo »

Hi
The tree has grown well since a hard cut back last year in early spring. Had to repot into a larger pot this year and did some cleaning up around the cut back area.

20161215_195826.jpg
20160506_155858.jpg
20161129_201311.jpg
20161129_201517.jpg
Milo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peofi
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Brachychiton Rupestris Repot and Clean up

Post by peofi »

Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

Hi Milo do you over winter your tree anywhere special? How is the healing over going with the sealant?

cheers
Max
Milo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Milo »

Hi Max
Sorry about the slow reply its been a busy week.
I cut the daily watering back to once a week at the beginning of May, and am in the process of building a new stand that will run down the sunny side of the house under the eaves to keep the pots as dry as possible. All the Brachychiton's can cope with temps down to -7 and this week it will fall below zero for the first time this winter. You need to watch for any shrinking of the carved area , and reapply sealant over any cracks that form. I let one go for too long and had to carve out some rot and reseal. Not happy with the shape and will do some more caving in the spring as the branches thicken up. Once happy with the shape it will take 2 to 3 years to develop a crusty skin (its not really bark as in most trees) Will update with a current photos as so soon as the weather clears , we are in for a couple of wet days .

Milo
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Max »

Cheers Milo :tu2: Is tipping the only way to get back branching or will removing the leaf in the desired area help? Also, would the periodic starving of water make the trunk cells swell in readiness for up take of water for storage, It's just that i don't see any with the bottled trunk and have put this down to the continual regular watering?

Cheers
Max
Milo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Milo »

Hi Max
Thanks for all the questions Max.

I'm keen to show the progression of my trees to inspire others to have a go and then see how others have designed and or shaped their trees
During this time I've learnt of all the other trees in the family and have in various stages of development Flame Tree, Bidwillii, Lace Bark, . Gregorrii and several different Kurrajong.

With the Qld Bottle Tree (Repestris) Tip pinching will generally produce two new shoots most of the time. But as they are slow growing its easier to buy a pot bound tree from a nursery and cut it down giving you a large base to work with.
Growing the branches then working with the branches you get.

The tap root needs to be cut (some times the tap root creates unusual shapes as it winds itself around in the pot trying to escape, the soil level lowered over a couple of years to give an unusual base) Until you repot you have no idea what's below the surface.
From Atilla's Book.jpg
Trees with big bases are generally around 2 to 3 Metres high and I cut them back to around 100m to 300mm that suits the shape of the base
If its big cheap and or discounted its worth grabbing and giving a go.

I too have wanted to have a bulbous trunk to have that true Qld Bottle tree shape, and finally found one. It had been lifted out of its soil and was obviously bulbus so into the back of the car it went (wife said "havent you got enough of them")
Bottle trees in parks & gardens are quite mature before they start to bottle up after floods and or heavy rains.

So good soil ,regular fertilizing and plenty of water during the hot months and little water during the cold months when the stop growing.
20160922_162214.jpg
I took some pics tonight but there blured so I'll have another go tomorrow.

Hope this helps and inspires

Milo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Max »

Excellent Milo :tu: I'll grab a few more B. Rupestris to go with the one i have, the leader of which i cut off in November. I had a branch with a bud at the trunk which i cut back to, thinking the bud would become the new leader, however the branch is taking all the energy it seems. Next growing season I'll cut that branch back and hopefully that will kick start the bud. It is still pushing new growth at the tip of that branch but should slow down soon. Hopefully this winter won't kill any buds at the leaf bases. Looking forward to any more pearls of wisdom you have ;) Thanks Milo

Regards
Max
Milo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Milo »

Hi Again Max.

Had another go at the photos
Bottle.jpg

P1030278.jpg
Just shows the difference in dry open country to flood plane. They take alot of water during the summer , but don't need much during the winter.
20170531_145950.jpg
At the re-pot next spring will lower the soil level around 20 to 30 mm highlighting the bulb shap.

Milo
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Max »

Dumpy is going to look fantastic in a few more years, do you get much swelling where there is more than one branch ?
Brewster
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Brewster »

any more update photos..???

i think i have a brachychiton discolour

see my ID request..
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=24948&sid=3a3d8ac ... 6fcf07a618
Goldfish get big enough only for the bowl you put them in..??
Milo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Milo »

Hi Brewster.
I've commissioned a new pot for my Qld Bootle tree , so as it needed repotting I put both it and Dumpy into the ground a few months.
I'll take some pics tomorrow
I placed it in a flywire cage so I can lift it out with out breaking the fine roots ,

Milo
Brewster
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Brewster »

Milo wrote:Hi Brewster.
I've commissioned a new pot for my Qld Bootle tree , so as it needed repotting I put both it and Dumpy into the ground a few months.
I'll take some pics tomorrow
I placed it in a flywire cage so I can lift it out with out breaking the fine roots ,

Milo
how are them photos coming along??
Goldfish get big enough only for the bowl you put them in..??

Return to “Australian Native Species”