My First Queensland Bottle Tree

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: None

My First Queensland Bottle Tree

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

This is the second tree I bought when I started bonsai, around 1992. It was also from Mr.
and Mrs. Dickenson's bonsai nursery in Blackburn, Victoria. I paid $6.00 for it then.

I remember seeing picture of a Queensland bottle tree trained as bonsai in a book, by an
English author -- I cannot recall the book now. A few days later, I went and asked Mr.
Dickenson about this tree, he just happened to have some.

I just cannot understand why it has survived. I did some terrible things to it back in the
early days.

The picture below was taken on 20/November/2008:

It sort of has two "tops" in the above picture. It has been in this pot for about three years.

The pot is Chinese, oval-shape:

Pot length: 50 cm.
Pot width: 30 cm.
Pot height: 5 cm (including the "legs".)

Over the years, I have never succeeded in wiring it. And I have also found that lower and
older branches suffer die back very easily. I have tried to make it bushy, but I have failed
repeatedly, until recently.

In 1997, I bought another two. I put them in big plastic pots, so they had developed fairly fast.
In 2005, I cut one back, with no branches left, it was around 4 cm thick. It died.

So I knew what not do do.

In late 2007, I noticed some small buds just a little bit above the bend, I cut one of the top off.

Then about a week later, some more small buds developed underneath the previous ones. I cut
it clean off just below the bend. So, about two-third of the height was cut off. As the buds were
progressing into branches, I cut off the top branches. I just kept the four most lower ones.

And on around December/2007, I transplanted it into deeper box to recuperate. These pictures
were taken on 06/December/2008.

It looks much healthier in this picture below:

The following two show the details of the cut-point. I still have not hollowed it out:

Also as can be seen in the above two pictures, of the four branches left, only two have developed
well, the other two are just about to die off.

The following two show details of the roots:

Presently it is about 66 cm tall -- measured from the soil surface in the box.

I am planning to do some more cut back, to develop more branches. I am also on
the look out for a suitable pot, I would prefer a signed Japanese pot.
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Re: My First Queensland Bottle Tree

Post by mudlarkpottery »

I really like the trunk base. It's very interesting. Regarding the branches, Dennis McDermott and other experts in natives, have said that they (bottle trees) as bonsai end up having only three branches. I was excited to see so many branches on yours and then disappointed to hear you say some are dying off. I would be interested to know what happens to them.
Penny.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I wish I had read this I was having no trouble with mine, but now I am scared I will. I think I have about 4 branches at the moment. I have trunk chopped fairly drasticly twice. First time was an experiment to see how it would handle it. I have just removed the wire from the first wiring. after it bit in slightly. I was very happy with how easy the branches bent when wiring. I had no problems. I have had no dieback.
I will post a pic soon. I was thinking about entering this one in the Native photo contest. If it grows fast enough. ;)
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100

Post by Jon Chown »

I have grown two Brachychitons from the same seed pod which I collected in 1991. One I largly ignored and the other I planted in a large terracotta pot and watered and fed copiously for perhaps the first 3 years of growth. I was rewarded with a very quick thickening of the trunk.
Qld Bottle Tree.jpg
Around 2007 I decided to turn this one into a feature tree in my courtyard - it had been in a pot up to this time.
Qld Bottle Tree - Feature.jpg
It has quite a thick trunk.
Qld Bottle Tree 002.jpg
I am now concentrating on its little sister - hard to imagine that they came from the same seed pod.
Qld Bottle Tree in training.jpg
To date I don't seem to have had any problems with branch die back - I guess time will tell.

Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Post by mudlarkpottery »

Hi Jon. How many branches do you have on the one in the pot? You could dig up the bigger one and chop the top off and pot it up as a bonsai. Would be a shame though, it looks great in your garden.
Penny.
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

Hi everybody,

Regarding the die back, I am happy to hear that you have not had this problem. Might be I have not
cared for it as well as I should.

Might be this is a sympton that is similar to other species such as pines, maples, etc...? Where young
branches come out of nowhere and suck up all energies?

As in can be seen from the pictures, I have four branches, two are developing very well, the other two
are just staying still.

I do believe we can have more than 3 branches -- might not as primary ones, but from secondary onward?

Hi Penny,

I did not do anything special to get that base. The pot shaped it for me. The roots just go round and round :)
There is another layer of root underneath the soil... really really cool.

Hi soltan,

We would love to see your tree... please post soon.

Hi Jon,

I like branches... if the trees were mine :) The first one, I would cut to just above the first lowest branch.
The last one, it looks tall too, might be you concentrate on developing the top branches?

Best regards,

Viet.

Return to “Australian Native Species”