Pherosphaera Fitzgeraldii (Blue Mountain Pine)

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
quodlibet_ens
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1

Pherosphaera Fitzgeraldii (Blue Mountain Pine)

Post by quodlibet_ens »

I had one of these plants about 10 years ago in a pot, though I didn't attempt to bonsai it. I picked one up at a local native nursery in Glenbrook, N.S.W

This time around I'm definitely looking to bonsai. I thought it resembled a juniperus squamata and would be best styled like a juniper? Here are a few pictures of the Fitzgeraldii

The branches tend to naturally droop or weep so there are a few ideas I had to styling it:

Semi Cascade

Cascade

Cascade

Any thoughts or recommendations you folks might have would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
jarryd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tasmanian Natives
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Re: Pherosphaera Fitzgeraldii (Blue Mountain Pine)

Post by jarryd »

I think these are a very interesting plant. The third image you have shown should make a convincing image for this tree. Maybe with the foliage somewhat looser and weeping. best thing you could do right now is pot it on and let it grow for quite some time. I am currently experimenting with the native Tasmanian Pherosphaera hookeriana which also seems it might be suitable for pot culture, but has a habit of browning of on the foliage tips. I have found some shade to be quite good for them :lost:

Jarryd
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/montanebonsai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog http://www.montanebonsai.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quodlibet_ens
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by quodlibet_ens »

jarryd wrote:The third image you have shown should make a convincing image for this tree. Maybe with the foliage somewhat looser and weeping. best thing you could do right now is pot it on and let it grow for quite some time. I am currently experimenting with the native Tasmanian Pherosphaera hookeriana which also seems it might be suitable for pot culture, but has a habit of browning of on the foliage tips.

I agree with the image you mentioned, Jarryd, it's probably the most suited. Are there similarities between the Fitzgeraldii and the Hookeriana? The Fitzgeraldii lives around waterfalls, so soil is always moist and the shrub shaded. I've planted mine in a larger pot with no holes to ensure soil stays moist (while stll being careful not to over water).

I'm a little disappointed I didn't pick this one up in spring or summer; I'm keen to see this one grow out.

jarryd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tasmanian Natives
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by jarryd »

They are some similarities, but the hookeriana has much more compact foliage, almost like shinpaku juniper. It seems to have a much larger distribution then the blue mountains species, but is still in small pockets and quite rare, they need moist locations at high altitude. They grow in full sun not just around waterfall rock faces, however cloud cover is often present on tassie mountains. It is listed as threatened so no chance for collection and pretty much all mature plants are in world heritage and national parks. Thankfully! All tassie conifers are fire sensitive and do not regenerate after fire so global warming and increases in dry electrical storms are a huge threat to these beautiful communities. Once fire has swept through the landscape tends to turn into a eucalyptus dominated community. They provide great inspiration for ourselves and future generations if we can preserve them.

The trees in the wild are fantastic in form just like perfectly natural bonsai trees in delightful alpine settings. Luckily for us bonsai growers, there are a few trees in cultivation that will provide future material to grow into bonsai for the next generation of bonsai growers.

You mentioned you placed your tree into a pot with no drainage holes, Even though these trees like lots of water, I would recommend a pot with drainage, otherwise there is to high a risk of the roots not being able to breathe and getting root rot. Best to slip pot your tree into a pot just slightly larger then the rootball, and keep moist but not wet. hope this helps.
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/montanebonsai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog http://www.montanebonsai.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ric
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: camellia
Bonsai Age: 40
Bonsai Club: National,Illawarra,Sakura,

Post by ric »

It looks to me as if it would do a very good job in giving Acacia howitii a run for its money in the cascade stakes.
quodlibet_ens
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by quodlibet_ens »

jarryd wrote:You mentioned you placed your tree into a pot with no drainage holes, Even though these trees like lots of water, I would recommend a pot with drainage, otherwise there is to high a risk of the roots not being able to breathe and getting root rot. Best to slip pot your tree into a pot just slightly larger then the rootball, and keep moist but not wet. hope this helps.
I actually repotted it yesterday and I'm glad I'm now reading your advice to do just that. At the time I thought it was a good idea, but after a day of thinking about it, it is best as you've mentioned to have some drainage.

I went an bought another one today from the same local native nursery. I think this will just be a potted specimen, but in talking to some of the folks there, they're quite keen to see how both a bonsai and potted version of the plant progress.

quodlibet_ens
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by quodlibet_ens »

ric wrote:It looks to me as if it would do a very good job in giving Acacia howitii a run for its money in the cascade stakes.
I'm certainly excited to see how it goes!

Thymetraveller
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trees!
Bonsai Age: 6

Post by Thymetraveller »

Hi quodlibet_ens
I jut bought a tiny Pherosphaera Fitzgeraldii from Mount Tomah Botanical Gardens.
IMG_20180101_185854.jpg
I'm excited about the species and am looking at it as a long term project, but I am wondering what the growth rate is like?
I notice that your first post on this thread was back in march. Any chance you could post a recent pic to show how much yours has grown?
Cheers in advance,
TT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trimmy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Trimmy »

jarryd wrote: March 26th, 2017, 12:33 pm I think these are a very interesting plant. The third image you have shown should make a convincing image for this tree. Maybe with the foliage somewhat looser and weeping. best thing you could do right now is pot it on and let it grow for quite some time. I am currently experimenting with the native Tasmanian Pherosphaera hookeriana which also seems it might be suitable for pot culture, but has a habit of browning of on the foliage tips. I have found some shade to be quite good for them :lost:

Jarryd
Hi Jarryd. How are you going with Pherosphaera Hookeriana six years on? I bought one yesterday purely on the basis that it's a native and has juniper like foliage. It's a twin trunk, so I put a piece of test wire on one of the trunks to see how it goes.

Return to “Australian Native Species”