Banksia I.D. and Information .

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Banksia I.D. and Information .

Post by boom64 »

Hi All,
Collected this Banksia several months ago. Cut back pretty hard but left several branches with some foliage on . It has just started putting on some new growth, however I have not seen any buds appearing around the cut ends ,maybe wrong time of year .Originally thought it was a Ericifolia but the trunk looks a bit different ,leaves look very similar ,hopefully the good folks at Aus Bonsai can clear it up.
Was considering cutting above the Y at the base of the tree ,so the big question when would be the best time and would I get some buds to work with.
Cheers John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Banksia I.D. and Information .

Post by squizzy »

If it's banksia I'd say ericifolia. In saying that I am sure there are plenty I'm unaware of.
Squizzy
Last edited by squizzy on April 27th, 2017, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Leaves look like ericifolia. Eastern banksias generally have wide ranges so there's plenty of variability among the species. Shorter, narrow leaves is generally indicative. B. spinulosa is the other Eastern species that has smaller leaves but generally quite a bit bigger than this. Either way it should respond very much the same.

If it is growing that's a very good sign. In my experience banksias that are not going to live turn brown quite quickly. My guess is that it is the wrong time of year for buds on older wood. May also be that there's still a lot of growth up top so no incentive for buds lower. I'd wait until late spring/ early summer to see if any buds grow on the trunk. If it just keeps growing at the tips prune much harder in December.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Thanks Squzzy and Shibui . I will sit tight until Spring before further work. Cheers John.

Return to “Australian Native Species”