Native soil ?

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
dibly_w
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: chinese elm , swamp cypress and ummmmm buxus
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: harmony tea garden highfields

Native soil ?

Post by dibly_w »

I obtained my first native Mel today . Still very small my uncle he is a horticulturalist and raised concerns about them drying out and dying in the heat quickly . Are there certain or different elements you guys use in your soils when caring for natives .
Given that some natives are found in low lying swampy areas are there some that handle wet feet or can handle it in those really hot summer spells ?
Cheers
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Native soil ?

Post by shibui »

What a broad question mate.
Many people think of Aussie natives as a completely separate category , all with similar needs. Nothing could be further from reality. Australia is such a large place with diverse habitats that we have all sorts of plants with a huge range of needs and preferences.
Even within a genus like Melaleuca there are swamp loving species and some that are adapted to survive in almost desert environments.
A very few Aussie natives have adapted to really poor soils and are intolerant of phosophate - banksia and a few related species. The vast majority of Australian natives do very well with 'normal' fertiliser. Note that there are plants from other countries (African proteas that are also P intolerant so it is not just 'natives' that need 'native fertiliser')

You will need to look at the specific species you are growing and their needs to decide what they need to thrive.
Note that I use the same mix for ALL the plants I grow here - maples, pines, banksias, melaleucas, leptospermum, everything. They all do well in a modern, open, free draining potting mix with standard fertilisers. I give some species a little more shade in the heat of summer and have kept some pots in water baths in the real hot months if the plants seem to struggle. I find it is generally plants that have not been repotted for a year or more that struggle most. Regular root pruning gives more room for air and water to enter the root zone and the plants do far better.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dibly_w
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: chinese elm , swamp cypress and ummmmm buxus
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: harmony tea garden highfields

Post by dibly_w »

Legend shibui ,
Haha yes mate broad questions require broad answers which generally come with more information that always helps .
Thanks for the info buddy :yes:
dennismc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives, JBP, Cfrepe Myrtle
Bonsai Age: 40
Bonsai Club: Teacher, School of Bonsai

Post by dennismc »

I could not agree more with Shibui. I have been growing natives as bonsai for more than 30 years with I believe excellent success. All my trees whether native or not grow in the same mix, equal parts of good potting mix and river sand plus fertiliser. I have never used native fertiliser rather preferring to use a complete balanced fertiliser that contains trace elements. I have never had an adverse reaction. The only exception I have made is to increase the proportion of river sand for re-potting azaleas to avoid risk of root rots.

Ironically I have found from experience that the natives actually require more water on average than the exotics as Bonsai.

Dennis Mc

Return to “Australian Native Species”