Gum tree cut back

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, maple, ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Gum tree cut back

Post by bonsaeen »

Hi,

I was given three of these gum trees by a fellow member on this forum. I wanted to cut this back way down below where it has branches but not sure if it will bud back or not. Can some one please tell me if this species can handle my brutality?

I did cut one very very low and it hasnt done anything so i am thinking its good as gone now. Also, what exact species is it and can i grow it from cuttings?
Thanks
5186157C-87ED-43D4-B2CF-DB94BE0678D1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Gum tree cut back

Post by Sno »

If you cut them back to just a few leaves first, hopefully some buds will form on the lower trunk as well as where the leaves are where you cut it .then you can chop down to the lower buds . If they don't bud lower let them grow again get them super healthy ,feed and water then try again . I doubt cuttings would strike .
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

I thought you could cut most Eucs back to bare wood, at least when they're this slender. When did you cut the one that hasn't shot? It may just be waiting for warmer weather. Scratch the bark with a fingernail - if it's green under the bark there's still hope.

Cuttings are vey unlikely, so I've been told.

Gavin
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonsaeen »

Thanks guys. I have cut it back a little will see what happens.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

It is difficult to accurately ID eucs just from leaves but given you are in Melbourne I'd guess Red Gum. They self seed readily, especially in bonsai pots and these lookk like volunteer seedlings.
Many Eucs can survive flood, storm and fire by sprouting epicormic buds from the trunk or from buds in the lignotuber so i would be surprised if these don't grow new shoots. Just be aware they are not really growing this time of year so it might take a few weeks, even months before you see new shoots.Results should be quicker if you prune when the weather is warmer and they are active.

Eucs from cuttings are almost impossible except with very special techniques and conditions.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

GavinG wrote:I thought you could cut most Eucs back to bare wood, at least when they're this slender .

Gavin
Hi Gavin I agree most times they would shoot no problem . I've had some that don't and I've had some that have shot to low that it's not been worth it , also too high . I think you have more control if you cut twice .
Bonsaeen if these trees were mine I'd separate and grow them out to increase the trunk size . A really open mix with good watering to match , to train the roots for bonsai culture .
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

I've grown a lot of euc sand many were of the same thinness as what you have when I cut them.
Most would shoot back no problem, but others might die back to the base and shoot from the lignotuber, effectively making the cut ineffective.

Why do you want to cut back now? To be honest they don't look healthy and bushy enough to perform a trunk chop now in my opinion.
As others have said, I wouldn't cut back now either. My preferred method of growing Eucs is very similar to what Sno has told you.
Trunk chopping on very thick trunks I would NeVER cut back below the first branch. I actually perform an unusual trick that always works for me. I cut back all the branches, but I leave on leader and only half cut it back. In other words cut back the leader to half its length say.... then remove all the other branches on the trunk. This promotes a massive flush of new buds all the way down the trunk because it doesn't let die back occur as there is still the leader growing. But make sure you leave plenty of healthy leaves and shoots on the leader. And do this in about November.

For small thin trunks like yours, don't bother. Cut back as low as you want, but wait till November. If it dies back to the base now, it's pretty thin anyway and you can just regrow it. However If you really like them, then I wouldn't cut back at all, I'd just grow the bejongas out of them for a few years before you even consider a trunk chop. The scars will heal quick on eucs if they are grown in a large container. The rolling cambium will encase the wound pretty quickly if you grow them in large containers.

Don't worry about ID until it flowers. Besides, it's a gum.

As gav says, they do shoot back from old wood easily yes, but as sno says, it is wise to grow with the cautious approach of cutting back to growing sections to reduce the chance of die back. But if you allow the trees to grow like mad for a long time, then apply my technique of cutting off everything except the leader in November I guarantee you it won't fail.
Last edited by Rory on September 24th, 2017, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonsaeen »

Thank you all for the information and suggestions. I really like red gumtrees out in the wild. There are some great trees in Werribee River Park. I was not aware that this isn't the right time for gumtrees so I will wait till its warmer. Also, i was under the impression the tree has grown a bit tall and if I don't cut back now then it might be too late to get some back buds but good to know that I can let them grow and still expect some grow back later. Thanks once again.

Return to “Australian Native Species”