Coastal Tea Tree, Possible Long or Very Short Progression

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Jordanny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Coastal Tea Tree, Possible Long or Very Short Progression

Post by Jordanny »

I had wanted to get a couple of bonsai trees for many years but never had got around to it. About six months ago I
found myself on a couple of different bonsai channels on YouTube and decided it has to be about time to get a bonsai tree for myself.

Went out to a couple of local bonsai shops over a period of several months but just could not find the type of tree I wanted. I wanted to style the tree myself and
not buy one that had already been styled by someone else. So I put an ad on Gumtree naming the types I was after and got a response
the next day.

The next day I purchased a Melaleuca bonsai or maybe it would be considered "pre bonsai".

However while I was there I pointed to one of the bonsais and said "wow how much for that one" and the guy responded "that's the only one not for sale". I left with my Mel
and kept thinking, I really liked that other bonsai but eventually I forgot about it. Several weeks later the tree popped up on
Gumtree, it was too expensive for my very low budget however I decided the next day I will send a text to maybe pruchase the tree.
The next morning I sent the text and he replied "sold".

Dissapointed, but now I knew the species of tree. It was a "Coastal Tea Tree". I researched online a found they grew locally
also (finding this forum) realized that these trees rarely survive when collected.

Apparently these trees are considered to be a weed/pest here in Western Australia introduced via eastern states and are becoming very invasive.

After many hours of driving I found myself a large patch of these trees.
Many of the trees had been poisoned along edges of some walking tracks. I think these trees may slowly be getting eradicated on purpose.

There where still tonnes of them around though, They really are invasive, loving the West Australian climate. Eventually I found an old road with many Coastal Tea Trees growing through or on the edge of the road. The hard road base seemed to be restricting the trees.. After receiving permission and after much thought I relocated this tree.
I've had it now for 5 to 6 weeks. I think that it may be going to survive. Here is the picture.

Because it was growing on the old road, all of the roots (except for the tap root) where in about two inches of soil
any lower down and the soil was too hard. The tap root was the only one to penetrate the hard soil.
It was quickly bagged up in a damp garbage bag and replanted.

This photo is from today 5 to 6 weeks after relocating. Seems to be surviving with a few new buds. I have been watering it twice a day, unless it has rained. If it has rained I still water it in the evening. It's a little difficult to see the tree in the pictures with the current back ground.

Here is also pictures of some random other trees I saw on the day.

I know these trees rarely survive but I just had to try. The weather conditions had been perfect with tonnes of rain
and a forecast of warm weather.
Last edited by Jordanny on October 14th, 2017, 7:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Re: Coastal Tea Tree, Possible Long or Very Short Progression

Post by Daluke »

I know that removal of trees on public land (and even private land bordering crown property) is illegal in Victoria with penalties including fines / possible jail time.

Legality aside, don’t you feel bad that you have risked killing something that wasn’t yours to determine the fate of? I ask because I don’t have a view on the issue -

Walter Pall made a good video on the ethics of collecting trees. Maybe worthwhile watching if you haven’t.

Legalities and ethics aside I hope the trees survive. They look cool.
Jordanny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jordanny »

Yes, legalities where sorted before removal of this tree. My post may imply that it I found and relocated the tree in one day because I wanted to keep the post short. It actually happened over several weeks.

Will I feel bad if it dies? Yes.
Last edited by Jordanny on October 14th, 2017, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

There’s no substitute for nature. I mean in terms of aging and weathering a tree.

Some of the best trees are collected.

Good on you for getting permission. I hope that because you did the right thing you’ll get rewarded with a tree that pulls through.

The fact that the tree is pushing growth is a good sign.

Please keep us posted with the progress.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

Hi Jordanny, good on you for getting permission and doing it correctly.
It makes all the difference IMO.
Taking a tree from anywhere without permission is simply wrong :shake:
No better than stealing from a persons back yard.
Your tree looks like it may just pull through :fc:
Just a quick thought; If you keep your eyes open in your local area for development sites, land clearing,
garden reno's etc., etc. Then you will get to save the tree from destruction :tu: Most of the trees I save in Sydney
don't become bonsai for one reason or another but I still get a buzz out of it.
Good luck with your tea tree and future ethical collecting.
cheers
Last edited by robb63 on October 14th, 2017, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Good luck with your tree. I think you have chosen a difficult one to start with. I was told these are extremely difficult to transplant.
I have seen some nice trees collected by Melbourne club members but I believe they were collected where the roots were contained in rocky hollows. Trees grown in pots where they develop plenty of roots respond well to root pruning and also grow pretty quickly.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

You may find that keeping it in a shallow water bath may increase your chances of success. Best of luck.

Gavin

Return to “Australian Native Species”