Jacksonia scoparia

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Jacksonia scoparia

Post by melbrackstone »

Is there anyone here who has grown this, or attempted to grow it? It's flowering madly in the park behind my house at the moment, and stands out like a beacon against the grey green of the standard bush...

https://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/gnp2/jackso ... paria.html
scoparia.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: Jacksonia scoparia

Post by dansai »

Hi Mel,

I have often seen this tree around my area and even before I saw it flower I was interested to know if would be able to handle bonsai treatment. It has beautiful fissured almost black bark and with the foliage from a distance looks like Allocasuarina torulosa. I have never ID'ed it but have been seeing all the trees in flower recently and thought I really need to find out what that is and see if any one had tried it. Now I know what it is, and seeing as you haven't got a response from someone that has tried it, as yet, I better give one a go and let you know.

A quote from the link you posted
Like many other legumes the hard seeds require soaking in hot water before sowing, and each plant must be in a separate pot to facilitate transplanting without damage to the roots.
The last part of that statement seems seems to suggest they don't like root disturbance which may not bode well for Bonsai culture.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Jacksonia scoparia

Post by melbrackstone »

Hi dansai

Yes I saw that line too, but figured wth....I'll give it a go. I've taken cuttings from one of the ones here, will be hanging around once the seeds come too. :)

Cheers, thanks for the response.

ps, they do look pretty spectacular in flower, don't they?

Return to “Australian Native Species”