Correa

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Correa

Post by SueBee »

Not at all sure Correa will make a Bonsai but had a play with this one today. Brought it last week. Thinking not as none seem to be listed here in Aussie Natives. Maybe too short a life?
IMG_7335.JPG
IMG_7336.JPG
IMG_7337.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Correa

Post by SueBee »

I am planning on this being a Shibui but welcome critiques and advice.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

SueBee wrote:I am planning on this being a Shibui but welcome critiques and advice.
Hi Sue Bee :wave: ,
Not familiar with this plant species at all.......... but your last comment has had me wondering.
Would your plant be classified as a Shibui once you've styled it, or would you be classified as being Shibui because you've styled it in a particular manner?
(maybe both?.....I'm trying to understand the "Shibui" context here in relation to bonsai?)
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Mmmm, maybe Sue means Shohin.
I think Correa would make a fine bonsai, but I am struggling with photos as they do not look like any Correa that I know (but I don't know that much about Correa).
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

I think the translation of "shibui" in Japanese is something along the lines of simple/subtle beauty, although I don't know if it is a term that relates specifically to bonsai - maybe more general (a bit like wabi sabi - a whole different can of worms!). Not sure if this is what SueBee was referring to. Of course if I'm wrong in my whole "translation of shibui" thing I'm sure Shibui can help me out! :P
Last edited by Ryceman3 on December 10th, 2017, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

Sorry About photo quality- my elderly hands shake no matter how I try to balance the camera.
The Correa is Not a Correa ! You are right Watto- went out and reread the label with my glasses on this time.
What I thought read Correa on the label,on second reading says c0rner.Yes eyes as bad as hand shake. who'd get old??? It is Thomasia Brachystachys...and now I need to do a whole new lot of research. :oops: :oops: Going to hide my head for a while.
I didn't realise Shibui was not a Bonsai term as when I looked it up it said exactly as you said Ryceman, Subtle beauty...which I thought appropriate for an aim for it.
Shohin? may be it will stay under 25cm ,time will tell.
I revised my Bonsai age down again. :oops: :oops:
Last edited by SueBee on December 11th, 2017, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

SueBee wrote: I didn't realise Shibui was not a Bonsai term as when I looked it up it said exactly as you said Ryceman, Subtle beauty...which I thought appropriate for an aim for it.
Yes you are right - "Shibui like qualities" is a term that can be associated with bonsai... so thank you for teaching me something new!
(Thanks to Ryceman too!)

Return to “Australian Native Species”