Leucopogon Parviflorus [Ryceman3]

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Leucopogon Parviflorus [Ryceman3]

Post by Ryceman3 »

Max wrote:you mentioned that the nursery people had to collect seeded bird droppings. Isn't this just scarification?
Yeah... nah.... dunno.
It was a while ago that I had this conversation but I think it had something to do with the outer coating of the seed breaking down as it went through the bird’s didegestive tract and that helped to encourage germination. Whether it was a ph thing or something I don’t remember, but I do remember them saying they had made successful trials using other methods that weren’t as “involved”.
Hen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Hen »

How are they doing Ryceman3? I have a few in their early stages and am keen to do the right thing by them.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hen wrote: April 19th, 2020, 9:45 am How are they doing Ryceman3? I have a few in their early stages and am keen to do the right thing by them.
The one that I trunk chopped died in spectacular fashion. By that I mean it had dried up and shrivelled so quickly afterwards that I was left in no doubt of it’s fate. I won’t be doing that again! (I thought I’d already posted about that... perhaps in a different thread?)

The other is fine. I have a love/hate relationship with this species. They appeal to me as a tree and I can see their virtues as bonsai but I find them to be very slow to develop, they don’t seem to like wire very much either. Every branch I have applied wire to and bent in any meaningful way has died back... so I think clip and grow is the best method. They will get “leggy” if left to their own devices from my experience so you need to be cutting back to keep the growth in check.

Here’s a shot of the one earlier in this thread that I took this morning.
72ACAC71-5AEE-4496-AC4E-F34D2D49637C.jpeg
And because I’m a glutton for punishment, I bought a fresh bit of tube stock over summer which I’ll be trying to shape one day... when they’re little like this they seem to push out growth quite quickly.
E7AA2E7E-C73E-4408-B5D3-4B500071DEC4.jpeg
Hope that all helps.
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Australian Native Species”