Root pruning & re-potting Callistemon

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Root pruning & re-potting Callistemon

Post by Raging Bull »

I'm on the Gold Coast, S.E. Qld only a couple of Kms. from the beach, so our weather is usually quite mild. (wearing only T shirt & shorts ATM) I have a couple of dug Little John callistemon which have been in a styrofoam grow box for a year now. After initially looking like they weren't going to make it, they are now growing strongly and look very healthy.
Is there a grower in S.E. Qld or northern N.S.W. who can advise me on the best time to root prune and re-pot these in this area? :? They both have quite good nebari and potential to make nice trees. Should I prune the roots in stages, say 25% the first time and let them recover for a year before reducing the roots further? At this stage I don't know how extensively the roots have re-grown after being dug from their original site.
Cheers, Frank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: Root pruning & re-potting Callistemon

Post by Pup »

Search under callistemon in the native pages.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

General consensus seems to be when its warm. You may be able to do it now and have no issues, however if you wait for a couple of months you will definitely be fine and get a faster response. As for the amount to take off the roots, it will depend on the roots. I'ld be looking to remove any downward roots, cutting back any heavy roots to start them ramifying and shortening any really long roots. You should be able to take more then 25% off, but it depends on the health of the tree and how well the root system has recovered from being dug out. I try and deal with as much problem roots as possible early on so that they don't become a bigger problem later on.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Post by Waltron »

Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Thanks for your replies :yes: I have read Pup's lengthy dissertation and found it very informative and interesting. Thanks Pup! After all that I've decided to leave them in their grow box until spring.

Return to “Australian Native Species”