Ghost Gum

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Ghost Gum

Post by Ray M »

Hi,
I would love to have an Australian native tree that looks like this photo.
These trees are not actually "Gum trees". The following information helps to explain a little more about these trees.
"Several species in the Corymbia genus, which is closely related to eucalyptus, are also called ghost gum. These were part of the Eucalyptus genus until they were reclassified in the 1990s. Because they are so closely related to eucalyptus, they are commonly called "gums," just like eucalyptus."
IMG_2167 -2.jpg
Information about the tree:
Ghost Gum
These beautiful trees grow in the centre of Australia. I photographed this tree at Palm Valley in the Northern Territory. This particular tree was growing out of a cliff face. When you see the rock where these trees grow, you wonder how they can get enough water to live. Yet, this tree was very healthy.
These trees are quite often found in Albert Namatjira's paintings.
If you want to see some of his work, have a look at the link below.
Albert Namatjira

Regards Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davecuddihy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Ghost Gum

Post by Davecuddihy »

Nice looking tree!
There are probably a few little differences but I believe they are classified Corymbias because they flower terminally.
Another option may be the Eucalyptus victrix (little ghost gum). Quite similar but has more lime green leaves and used ever now and then as street trees (here in Perth anyway) so they might be easier to acquire
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

That's a beautiful photo, Ray, of a wonderful tree!

Hope you can find something similar!
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Joel »

Although the Corymbia were split from Eucalyptus due to distinct morphological characters, more recent genetic work has shown that they are nested within the Eucalyptus genus. That is to say that they are more closely related to some Eucalyptus species than some of the other Eucalyptus are. This is what we call paraphyly and is a major issue in taxonomy where we strive to create monophyletic groups I.e. group things by relatedness, not how similar they appear.

Regardless of what you call them, they are a beautiful group of species that can offer endless inspiration for the Australian native bonsai enthusiast.
Jdceng
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jdceng »

Hi Joel

Crikey this old bloke just learnt a couple of new words, now all I have to do is remember them :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
JC
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by Ray M »

Joel wrote:Although the Corymbia were split from Eucalyptus due to distinct morphological characters, more recent genetic work has shown that they are nested within the Eucalyptus genus. That is to say that they are more closely related to some Eucalyptus species than some of the other Eucalyptus are. This is what we call paraphyly and is a major issue in taxonomy where we strive to create monophyletic groups I.e. group things by relatedness, not how similar they appear.

Regardless of what you call them, they are a beautiful group of species that can offer endless inspiration for the Australian native bonsai enthusiast.
Hi Joel,
Thanks for the extra information.

Regards Ray
jamespv100
Favorite Species: Corymbia aparrerinja
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: Lisaorw

Post by jamespv100 »

Hi. I managed to grow a few from seeds I ordered online.

Return to “Australian Native Species”