Which native?

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Kieranrulz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: BSA

Which native?

Post by Kieranrulz »

Hi just after a quick suggestion of what natives are easy to care for and get a hold of in the Sydney area.
New to bonsai so at this point I’m just wanting to keep alive.
Thanks
Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible God & destroys a visible Nature. Unaware that the Nature he is destroying is this God he is worshiping - Hubert Reeves
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Which native?

Post by benbonsai »

Callistemon are good.
Pretty hardy and backbud well of old wood.
Slow and steady wins the race
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Also Figs and Lilly Pilly's. All of these are hardy, and will show signs of water stress before dying and will recover well if they dry out a little. Watering properly is probably the first most thing to master. They also back bud well, even if cut hard.

Leptospermum is another that do well, although some species won't back bud easily except at the cut ends if some green is left, and will die if all green is removed.

I also enjoy Casuarinas, but have found they will cark it easily if they dry out and don't like being too wet.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

dansai wrote:Also Figs and Lilly Pilly's. All of these are hardy, and will show signs of water stress before dying and will recover well if they dry out a little. Watering properly is probably the first most thing to master. They also back bud well, even if cut hard.

Leptospermum is another that do well, although some species won't back bud easily except at the cut ends if some green is left, and will die if all green is removed.

I also enjoy Casuarinas, but have found they will cark it easily if they dry out and don't like being too wet.
Nailed it. :tu2: I'd like to add Melaleuca to the list.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Kieranrulz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: BSA

Post by Kieranrulz »

Hey guys. Thanks for the suggestions. I’m sure I could have scrolled through to find my answer but after an hour of trying but getting distracted by other interesting stuff I thought quicker to ask.
I have a Ficus already so I’ll look for something else. I’ve had a look and I am liking the look of the Melaleucas
I’ll keep an eye out for something that speaks to me as the misses has already told me to stop getting more trees lol.
It is getting busy on our small balcony to be fair ( can’t use the clothes rack anymore :palm: )
I’ll try a native nursery on the weekend but knowing me I’ll come home with something I wasn’t looking for then find out it has nothing going for it upon looking it up.
Thanks again,
Kieran
Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible God & destroys a visible Nature. Unaware that the Nature he is destroying is this God he is worshiping - Hubert Reeves
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Melaleucas should go in alongside Callistemons. Some Mels do not shoot on bare wood but the common East Aust species are pretty hardy and do seem to bud easily.
Also add Banksias to the list. Some growers seem to have issues with these but they are doing exceptionally well for me - B. integrifolia appears to be the best followed by B. serrata and B. marginate. All thicken quite quickly, even when grown in pots. That's a valuable characteristic for bonsai and not all plants will do it.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dralis
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedar
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Dralis »

Hi any good natives for Melbourne that anyone experience can suggest
If you can post a pice of the native bonsai as well would be great
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Search on the site for all the names mentioned above - plenty to choose from. Also join the Victorian Native Bonsai group - they're on Facebook for starters.

Gavin
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

There are many species that are suitable for Melb and each species can be used in lots of styles so too many to upload pics. You can search for great examples for inspiration.
This link goes to photo galleries from the Australian Plants as Bonsai displays help by Canberra Bonsai Society at the Notional Botanic Gardens at Canberra - httpss://www.anbg.gov.au/bonsai/index.html

The Victorian Native Bonsai Club also has some photo galleries of some great natives as bonsai - httpss://www.vicnativebonsai.com.au/photo-gallery/ Browse through and see if any of those take your fancy.

Some species are harder to manage but obviously if there are photos all these can be done with a little effort.
Here's one of the threads where someone else asked a similar question - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=21671&hilit=recommend+native
Any of the species mentioned above for Sydney should also do very well in Melbourne however if you are in a colder suburb figs may need to be moved to a warmer spot in winter - close to the house or inside for the colder months.
Last edited by shibui on August 11th, 2018, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Australian Native Species”