Native Flower....I.D.

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Native Flower....I.D.

Post by boom64 »

Hi All,
Have had this little one sitting in the to do section. A pretty lanky tree but has some nice bark and in the last couple of weeks has been producing beautiful little bunches of flowers. A real bonus.... Any ideas about I.D. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Native Flower....I.D.

Post by shibui »

Looks like Calytrix. If it is from this side of the continent probably C. tetragona. petals don't last very long but the calyx behind the petals is persistent so they still look to be flowering for several months after the white petals fall.
Likes very well drained soils and I have had many sulk or die after root pruning so probably best to be a bit gentle when repotting. I cannot get these to bud from old wood so need to prune often because if it grows tall there's no hope of bringing it back down by pruning.
On the + side these make really attractive ropy trunks quite quickly and it looks like the lower trunks of this one is starting to get that too.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Thanks Shibui ,
I had a funny feeling they would not back bud on old wood....I have another one which has a much more interesting shape. I cut it down to the very start of green growth immediately and it has slowly bulked up. I will take care when I do some work on it in the future. I recall you talking about pampering some natives ,which soon leads to there down fall. These are kept in the background for this reason. Appreciate the feedback, what don't you know. :whistle: Cheers John.
DangerousDave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by DangerousDave »

Perhaps a redundant post here, but thought it was worthwhile throwing in a supporting comment. 100% agree with shibui. And the persistent calyx will help you to be confident. A beautiful shrub in native heathland. Would love to have one in my collection. I hope your’s goes well for you. Dave
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Don't be fooled by natives that survive in harsh conditions. In pots they definitely need regular feeding. When I neglect the fertiliser and repotting I soon have sad, sick and dead natives. Calytrix do not seem to have any particular aversion to any fertilisers so give it a feed as often as you'd feed any others.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Australian Native Species”