Forest planting suggestions please

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
bemmbabe
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aust. Natives
Bonsai Age: 0

Forest planting suggestions please

Post by bemmbabe »

I'm planning to create a few group or forest bonsai and want to start collecting the plants. Can anyone suggest a few good species that give good results. Some photos would help. And Australian natives of course.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Forest planting suggestions please

Post by shibui »

I can't go past trident maples for groups in Southern Australia. They are so responsive, quick to develop and easy to work with. This is an older photo of one of my trident groups (apologies for the small size)
Trident forest 2007.JPG
As far as natives I've seen several groups of Leptospermum laevigatum that were really good. Only a few trees in the groups but great. Hera are a couple from the 2007 convention in Melbourne
AABC Melb 2007 coast titree3 reduced.jpg
AABC Melb 2007 coast titree2.JPG
Melaleucas would also work really well. Groves of paper bark trees like you see along the coast or a forest of M. lanceolata. You have all the inspiration in the world on your doorstep over there and plenty of opportunity to get a few seedlings or suckers out of roadside gutters and road verges.
I would like to see some banksias as a group. Not sure how to style that though. B. integrifolia would probably work best.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shibui on October 10th, 2018, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Australian Native Species”