Melaleuca revolution green

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
si90
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Melaleuca revolution green

Post by si90 »

Here's a Mel that I started from nursery stock about 5 years ago. I might try and see if I can find some old photos from earlier on in its life later on.

It sits at about 40 cm high with a truck of maybe 2.5 to 3 cm.

I have been trying to get a natural australian style appearance to the tree but I'm not sure how successful I have been in that yet. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to trying to improve on the design.

CheersImage
Last edited by Bougy Fan on December 31st, 2018, 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Typo
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Melaleuca revolution gree

Post by treeman »

You might consider raising the right branch - if it will go, so it's angle is more in line with the angle of the curve of the trunk below the crown. In other words, filling the space above it. and then reducing the left side to one branch and shortening it.
Last edited by treeman on December 31st, 2018, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Melaleuca revolution gree

Post by Boics »

Great tree.
I'm sure you'll only improve in time.
No rush, perhaps a few virtuals will help here?
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Melaleuca revolution green

Post by boom64 »

Hi Si90 ,
Unfortunately not able to do a virtual so hope this makes sense. Just a couple of ideas . Remove the middle branch of the apex and use the right hand branch as the new apex .Wire some movement .With the two bottom branches ,remove about one third and with the sub branches left wire them so splaying upwards and out. If possible turn the ends of the primary branch upwards ,more in harmony with the trunk. Generally thinning and compacting tree. Good luck as it a lovely tree Cheers John.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.

Post by anthonyW »

Maybe something here for you as John and Michael have suggested,,I think this is what there about?...and if I see correctly you have a branch out the back half way up approx that can come up and out and help fill voids left and right..especially right side....I have drawn that in as well, you have all the parts and good bones there and of course only you know if you can move the two bottom branches and lay the foliage over a bit....nice tree and good luck there.

cheers Anthony
phptqWSTUPM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

You should be stoked with this tree. I think the trunk line is spot on - you you see so many trees with similar trunks everywhere on the coast. Usually in group settings without the lower branches - just the tops forming a canopy for the group.

For a stand alone tree - you’ve set a wonderful foundation for a ripper tree. Well done. Already excellent IMHO and will be further improved by the prior advice of others in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
baldtwitlion
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by baldtwitlion »

It looks quite nice just as it is

si90
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by si90 »

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have removed one of the pair of first branches (hard to see but the first branch was really a pair of two) and have wired the second branch upwards a bit. It's not quite in line with the trunk but it's closer. I'll have a bit of a go with the crown as suggested and post some pictures when I get a chance.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my SM-A320F using Tapatalk
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

si90 wrote:Thanks for all your suggestions. I have removed one of the pair of first branches (hard to see but the first branch was really a pair of two) and have wired the second branch upwards a bit. It's not quite in line with the trunk but it's closer. I'll have a bit of a go with the crown as suggested and post some pictures when I get a chance.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my SM-A320F using Tapatalk
Have you thought of a literati for this?bit drastic I think requiring the complete removal of the Lower two branches, but the movement in the trunk and the ramifications of the top makes it an attractive option

Return to “Australian Native Species”