Things we don't much do in bonsai. Why?

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: Things we don't much do in bonsai. Why?

Post by bodhidharma »

treeman wrote:The only ironic thing here Bhodi is that you used the word irony incorrectly.
"A literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words and actions is clear to the audience and reader although unknown to the character"

Oh, i dunno Mike, pretty clear, and that is Bodhi.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

bodhidharma wrote:
treeman wrote:The only ironic thing here Bhodi is that you used the word irony incorrectly.
"A literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words and actions is clear to the audience and reader although unknown to the character"

Oh, i dunno Mike, pretty clear, and that is Bodhi.
Oh Dear. I see more explanation is required. You used the words......''Why should you have the last word?'', to demonstrate irony because they were the last words written. However, notice that those words make up a question. We can see this because it has a ''?'' at the end of it. A question invites another word from another party therefore it cannot be expected to be the the last word. Therefore your example does not demonstrate irony.
You on the other hand used the word irony to demonstrated irony without noticing this which makes the only thing in this exchange ironic,...yours. Get it?
Last edited by treeman on April 2nd, 2019, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Bodhi that's a beautiful tree! I'll have to mention that the commonly used Melaleuca linariifolia can attain this shape and form quite easily up here in Qld. As for the Eucalyptus gaining that form in a container, yes, I can see that would be difficult.

Sometimes I think we need to enjoy it when we see it, especially in this case where it stands proud of the surrounding bush, so we can admire the Australian form.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

melbrackstone wrote:Bodhi that's a beautiful tree! I'll have to mention that the commonly used Melaleuca linariifolia can attain this shape and form quite easily up here in Qld. As for the Eucalyptus gaining that form in a container, yes, I can see that would be difficult.

Sometimes I think we need to enjoy it when we see it, especially in this case where it stands proud of the surrounding bush, so we can admire the Australian form.
Hi MBS,
I am indeed lucky that i am surrounded by many beautiful tree's and, especially Red gums. We have one in a little place called Guilford (population 50....if lucky) and they have heritage listed it and fenced it as a tourist attraction. Nothing better than to sit under and old gum and feel it's beauty and be a part of it. :cool:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

treeman wrote:Oh Dear. I see more explanation is required.

:palm: SIIIIIIIIIIIIGH!!!
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

this is just a guess and am open to correction, but here goes------if a plant in a bonsai pot looks like an old tree(or a tree with some age)it is bonsai..--everything else is "diversity" :fc:
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

I think we've all bored each other adequately. Mods please lock the thread.

Gavin

Return to “Australian Native Species”