Dodonaea Viscosa air layer

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
colinb12
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: BSV, VNBC

Dodonaea Viscosa air layer

Post by colinb12 »

I recently saw a gnarly branched Dodonaea and thought it would make an interesting literati.

I have viewed Ausbonsai and Google, but there is minimal information on the species as a bonsai, and no reference to air layering.

Has anyone attempted an air layer, and if so, would you please share your experience - successful or not.

Thanks, Colin
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Dodonaea Viscosa air layer

Post by KIRKY »

Below taken from www2.hawaii.edu/~eherring/hawnprop/dod-visc.htm

Propagation by Air Layers
Dodonaea viscosa can be propagated by air-layering using standard techniques. The mother plant should be healthy and unstressed and best success is obtained when the plant is not flowering or fruiting. It takes 4 to 6 months for an air layer of Dodonaea to root. Air layers should not be removed from the mother plant until the roots fill the spaghnum moss around the air layer. Plant the new plant in standard potting mix and keep it moist until additional roots form. Keeping the plant in a shady location out of the wind will keep it from drying out.

Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Hi Colin,

I have also seen a number of Dodonea with really interesting and gnarly trunks. I have some small ones which I started from seed but I know others that started theirs from tubestock as well. Please keep us informed on the progress of your air layer if you go ahead with it.

terryb
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

I'm happy to see this species pop up here. I have a few of these recently rescued from a recreation park I sometimes go bushwalking in. There's a steep rocky hill covered in D. viscosa, and after a decent rain there's often one that has been completely dislodged from the ground. No idea if what I have will survive as they were lying there with their roots completely exposed but the earliest one I collected has some new growth.

There are as many dead trunks as there are alive trees, about half of which are just lying on the ground. I've grabbed a couple for potential future tanuki - Wikipedia says the wood is very durable which is a plus.

I'll put up some pics when I get the chance.
colinb12
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: BSV, VNBC

Post by colinb12 »

Thanks for the information Kirky.

I’ll action the air layer in early September and see how it goes over the next 4 - 6 months.

Pics of ‘ hopefully ‘ the successful air layer will follow.

Colin.

Return to “Australian Native Species”