Ti-Tree group...Leptospermum ?

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: Ti-Tree group...Leptospermum ?

Post by bodhidharma »

Booga wrote:Im here to admire bodhi and pup. I am starting to get an for what looks good but finding the words to describing them hard..very nice specimens I like the group planting with the exposed roots and pups looks great with a big trunk flair and nice dense foliage I went on a hunt today for Melaleuca but to no avail apart from seedlings
I hope you find your Mela Booga. Start now and in ten years time you could have a specimen too :tu2:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Bohdi,
Fantastic display. :clap: . I have collected way to many of these and in a previous post i asked about branch dropping!! I have all on a wet bed and still they drop. Maybe to wet ?
I presume it is OK to repot now ? If so any advice on soil mix would be helpfull.
Thanks John.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

G'day John, Yes, maybe to wet. I use a very open mix consisting of a premium potting mix and mixing in at a rate of 2x1 Purlite, 3-5 mm red scoria. Older pine bark and organic complete fertiliser. Also, do you feed enough?
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Bodhi , mate i missed this . Any update on the forest group . Cheers Alpine
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Bodhi,
Thanks for the reply.. If anything I proberly over fertilize.I have been using Miracle Gro for Azaleas , every second day.The Plants are in direct morning till mid afternoon sun.I have had occasions when there has been a lot of rain . The wet bed and the surface of the trees get a green jelly like layer over them.? The trees that have the least problems are in larger deeper pots.!!
Oncs again thanks for the information i will repot a few in your mix and see how they go.
Cheers John.
The-Calli-Kid
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Callistemon, Melaleuca, Ficus, Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by The-Calli-Kid »

Wonderful Baekea group!
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

alpineart wrote:Hi Bodhi , mate i missed this . Any update on the forest group . Cheers Alpine
Hey Alp's, :whistle: this is an update :tu2:
Thanks Calli.
Last edited by bodhidharma on March 25th, 2012, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mr Bodhidharma , the pics only came up today , hence the request .I seem to be having a few issues with the pics on other topics . I like this group .

Cheers Alps
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

bodhidharma wrote:Well, three years later i finally :palm: got around to repotting and re-arranging this group a little bit. The changes, i think, serve the setting better. Might be good enough to put into the next Aussie native comp. What do you reckon :hooray:
Hi Bodhi,

Are you open to critique? I know you are far more experienced than I but I would like to suggest something.

Joel
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Joel wrote:Hi Bodhi,

Are you open to critique? I know you are far more experienced than I but I would like to suggest something.

Joel
Hi Joel, of course, critique away :cool: I need all the help i can get. ;) everyone sees things differently and i welcome the experience to look through your eyes :tu:
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

I was wondering if you had considered putting it on a rough slab of some sort? It looks to me like they are growing in a harsh environment by the sea and this could be replicated rather well. To me, the trees don't look "showy" enough for a blue pot and require something more rustic to compliment their dainty flowers. What are your thoughts?

Joel
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Joel wrote:I was wondering if you had considered putting it on a rough slab of some sort? It looks to me like they are growing in a harsh environment by the sea and this could be replicated rather well. To me, the trees don't look "showy" enough for a blue pot and require something more rustic to compliment their dainty flowers. What are your thoughts?
hmmmmm..hmmmmm :lost: My thinking has always been the use of the blue glazed pot was to enhance the flowers, which i think it does. But i can see what you are envisioning and like the idea very much. I wonder if a long, low natural coloured pot would achieve the same result :?: The only way to find out i guess is to, next repot, find a good slab of rock and give it a go. Maybe a virt Artist will read this and virt one up for us. Virt Artists..what say you.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

After studying this group and listening to advice i decided to do a complete turn around on this group. A perfect pot ( i think anyway) came up at our last Show in Castlemaine and i was astounded that a whole box of Japanese pots were left sitting from one of our members selling up due to ill health. I bought the lot. This is a signed pot and i thought it would suit the group well. It is, i think, representative of an Aussie setting i have seen in West Oz on many occasions. The foliage needs refinement but that is time. Open to all comments of a helpful nature as always. Mine is but to listen and learn. The idea of a slab is uppermost in my mind and not forgotten. I just need to source the correct one. I forgot to add that the tree will just squeak into the SHOHIN category if i trim a tad of foliage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bodhidharma on February 25th, 2013, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
hugh grant
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: CCBC, CBS, VNBC, BSST

Ti-Tree group...Leptospermum ?

Post by hugh grant »

Nice mate!
Love the trunks and the compositional movement as a whole. It flows very well and very natural. Cant wait for Refinement of the foliage and fine twigging now.I'd love to see this tree look refined and open in the future and not clumped pads of foliage but rather open and intermingling in a refined and orderly manner.
Hope you get my ramble

Very Nice group!!!

Hugh
Tree Makers Making Australian Bonsai
School - Nursery - Store

Upper Blue Mountains NSW
https://www.treemakers.net/

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/treemakersbonsai
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tree_makers/
E: Hughgrant@treemakers.net
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Wow Bodhi, love the setting. Good to see someone doing Lepto justice finally. Keep the updates coming.

Return to “Australian Native Species”