Ti-Tree group...Leptospermum ?

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Ti-Tree group...Leptospermum ?

Post by bodhidharma »

This is a group i have had for a long time and i have never been able to identify it. It is Ti-tree and in the Leptospermum family which is also? classified as Melaleuca. The group is even numbered for the eagle eyed among you as one died and i cannot find another. The flowers are tiny, tiny, tiny as is the foliage. I will be interested if someone can identify it positively. The group would be 20 plus in age.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: Ti-Tree group...Leptospermum ?

Post by Pup »

G,day Bohdi, interesting Saikei and as such you are permitted an even number of trees. Because you supplement the others with rocks.

As for the name you have me now going of to search though my books. On Bottlebrushes Paperbarks &Tea Trees.

If I find any thing I will let you know ASAP.

Cheers ;) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Greth »

The reason for odd numbers is that it often helps to make the group look better, this is a beautiful group, therefore it has acheived its aim without having to use the rules.
I reckon it is only in the small numbers where it makes a big difference (eg 3 vs 2 or 4), for a big group it probably doesn't matter. Probably because even numbers look too symmetrical and contrived.Your group is not symmetrical, but manages to look balanced without that, the rocks on the left give a heaviness which balances the biggest tree/s on the right. That big tree clump seems to me to be the element which makes it all work, and could still be stronger and heavier, though that is probably only going to be achieved with time.Maybe another rock over there would give more weight, but then the look would be more like a valley, change the whole mindset.
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Good on ya Pup, an I.D would be spectacular. I have quizzed very high Aussie native authorities about this one and have come up blank. I purchased them a long time ago as singular trees for their unusualness and they where marked as ti-trees but no genus and the guy selling them also shrugged his shoulders.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Bohdi I am back. You really thew me with Ti Tree also Melaleuca. They are the same family, the Myrtaceae.

This tree you have is in Chamelaucium Alliance, under Baeckea now known as Babingtonia.
Which is also the Myrtaceae family.
Now I am going to post some photo's. Then please tell me if they match your's then I will name it if you beleive they are the same.
P1080344.JPG
P1080347.JPG
P1080348.JPG
P1080350.JPG
I have a picture of the tree as well to come because I do believe it is the same.

Cheers ;) Pup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I agree with pup. Looks like a baekia (Babingtonia) from the foliage and flowers. They are frequently shown at the natine bonsai show in Canberra.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Pup the only slight difference i see is foliage colour. Mine is a slightly darker green but i think we can attribute that to either growing conditions or photography. Bloody well done Mate!!! I think i will install the Mantle of Super Sleuth of AusBonsai upon you. Thanks a heap. :D :D :D

p.s having now done some research its cultivar seems to be called babingtonia similis "howies feathertips" :?:
Last edited by bodhidharma on December 30th, 2009, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

bodhidharma wrote:Pup the only slight difference i see is foliage colour. Mine is a slightly darker green but i think we can attribute that to either growing conditions or photography. Bloody well done Mate!!! I think i will install the Mantle of Super Sleuth of AusBonsai upon you. Thanks a heap. :D :D :D

p.s having now done some research its cultivar seems to be called babingtonia similis "howies feathertips" :?:
I wont argue as to it being a cultivar as there are always plenty of them when it is attractive. One thing I notice is the colour of the foliage as you say but yours also changes colour as you move around your tree.

My tree's are the formally Baeckia virgata ( twiggy heath myrtle ) now Babingtonia virgata.

Here is the tree well its just about every where here a bit like Eddie McGuire :lol: :roll:
P1080351.JPG
Cheers ;) Pup

bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Beautiful tree Pup. Obviously yours? Nice to have that sorted, Again, thanks. By the way we would love to get rid of Eddy. Do you think W.A would want him...and Collingwood to :)
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

bodhidharma wrote:Beautiful tree Pup. Obviously yours? Nice to have that sorted, Again, thanks. By the way we would love to get rid of Eddy. Do you think W.A would want him...and Collingwood to :)
Bite you bloody tounge :twisted: :roll: :roll: :P hes almost as bad as Sam. :P :lol:

Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I would go for the two for one deal with Eddie and Sam the fit right in over on the West.

Love that tree Pup :D When does it go up for sale :twisted:

Thats a nice setting Bodi. I know prcticly nothing about these but as far as viewing goes I wonder if you could open up the foliage a bit to compliment the movement in the setting?

It seems I have a lepto I think It will make a nice shohin one day I will have to give it a thread for some advice Pup!
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
hugh grant
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: CCBC, CBS, VNBC, BSST

Post by hugh grant »

Hi
those trees are deffnetally baeckea like my baeckea virgata I own it may even be the same by the looks of it. I think they are a reallygood tree to bonsai.
If you want to see mine go to this post. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3017

Hugh ;)
Tree Makers Making Australian Bonsai
School - Nursery - Store

Upper Blue Mountains NSW
https://www.treemakers.net/

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/treemakersbonsai
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tree_makers/
E: Hughgrant@treemakers.net
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Thanks for the help all. I will be opening it up a little Bretts but i will wait till after the flowers are finished. Cheers :D
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Well, three years later i finally :palm: got around to repotting and re-arranging this group a little bit. The changes, i think, serve the setting better. Might be good enough to put into the next Aussie native comp. What do you reckon :hooray:
Booga
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: acer
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Booga »

Im here to admire bodhi and pup. I am starting to get an for what looks good but finding the words to describing them hard..very nice specimens I like the group planting with the exposed roots and pups looks great with a big trunk flair and nice dense foliage I went on a hunt today for Melaleuca but to no avail apart from seedlings
AC/DC died with Bon, And I am on the hwy to hell too...

Return to “Australian Native Species”