Ti-Tree group...Leptospermum ?

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: Ti-Tree group...Leptospermum ?

Post by bodhidharma »

hugh grant wrote:I'd love to see this tree look refined and open in the future and not clumped pads of foliage but rather open and intermingling in a refined and orderly manner.
Andrew F wrote:Wow Bodhi, love the setting. Good to see someone doing Lepto justice finally. Keep the updates coming.
Thanks Gentlemen. i am hugely looking forward to refining this setting. :tu:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Ah Bodhi, you make me think, and that's a Bad Thing. I've been trying to work out how you got six trees (two pairs, and two outliers) to look harmonious and graceful, not symmetrical and clunky. I think it's because the left tree of the right pair joins the left pair at the top, visually, and the left pair has complexity in the trunks, so they don't just look like two pairs of trunks. The left outlier is not so far from the two pairs, and blends with them, the right outlier is quite separate. It's very subtle indeed, and graceful and natural - great skill that you can't see happening. I'm sure when you made the group, you weren't thinking this analytically - it doesn't look "analysed" but I do need to understand how this balancing act works. Hope you don't mind the rant.

Hugh's phrase "refined and open" is a great description of what a lot of natives need - not clear patterns, but carefully balanced and harmonised.

My only thought would be to ask if the setting could be gradually lowered in the pot over the next few years? The pot is a real find, but for me it feels "long and low", so the group might sit a little lower as well.

Thanks for posting Bodhi, it's a real gem.

Gavin
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Hi Mr G, i fluked it :lol: O.K, in all honesty these things come together over time. Such a deep observation, on your behalf, deserves my scattered thinking completely. This has sat in a prominent position on my bench for a while now so i am looking at it ten times a day walking past it. It has been my experience that if you view a setting for long enough from all angles, A glimpse of what it could be occurs. That is why the complete face about for this group. If you look, two of the trees were separated and the centers were kept together and turned the other way. The single trees were put in to create the correct flow. The front left hand one was deliberately placed in front (which was a single tree) and did not work. I had to cut a center one out and moved the smaller tree back to center (it is the one that is partly hidden) and the more prominent tree was put into the front. I then hung it out of the pot so far (as it is overhanging a long way) to balance, and take the eyes off the wild looking right hand tree. When i had the less prominent tree in the front my eye was always drawn to the back tree. If you look at the group at a glance you always go to the left hand side (or i do anyway) and follow it along to the right. That is why it looks so harmonious. I am also happy with the strategic rock placement. I am a humble sort of guy but i say openly that, with foliage refinement, this will be a great group. I have kept it high for the health of the group with the thought of it still going on a slab. Which, of course, will free up that wonderful pot. Hope that is not to involved and long winded an answer.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

This group has settled in and loves its new spot. While watering this morning the Gnarly twisted trunks were highlighted by the sun and i have tried to capture the scene. This is when i wish i was a photographer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Nice on Bodhi.

Loving the look of these guys...
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
bebe
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: MPBS

Post by bebe »

I love the look of these trees, with their gorgeous gnarled trunks and delicate foliage. I think you've got a beautiful arrangement of stones to complement the group as well. I'm very envious! Can you give any tips on how you managed to get the movement and character in the trunks and branches?
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Boics wrote:Loving the look of these guys...
:tu2: Thanks Mate, i am very happy with the progress of this group.
bebe wrote: Can you give any tips on how you managed to get the movement and character in the trunks and branches?
Hi Bebe, I bought these about 12 years ago and i was very lucky to have a selection from a Native Nursery (out of business now) to choose from. I saw a demo done by a fellow in Ballarat with a Babingtonia group and was inspired to do one myself. They develop this gnarly character themselves over time. I was lucky and also wise as i chose the candidates for this group.
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

You have a camera (without a phone attached :lol: ), and a subject ... you are a photographer ... even got the sun flare and all ;) Nice contrast with the sunlight and the shadows too :)

Looks great with its new face and pot, and one day even better on a slab :tu:

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers, Ryan
Last edited by cre8ivbonsai on March 5th, 2013, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

I have trimmed this group today and photographed it (maybe for the comp) and i will now wait until March to see if the foliage develops a little further. I have the slab underneath as the idea of the group sitting on a slab is still uppermost in my mind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

The slab looks good, it would make it easier to grade the edges down smoothly, which would improve it even more. Thanks for posting the process of thinking and improving.

Gavin
lakepipes
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by lakepipes »

i quite like it , very nice

Mike
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Once again love this group.
It's looking amazing.

You may have some issues with the comp though Bodhi.
I've read s thread recently where this tree species has been re-classed again as a non native? I'll try find it for you.

Found it. Is this relevant?

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17151&p=174038&hil ... ea#p174038
Last edited by Boics on January 28th, 2014, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Thanks guys,
Boics wrote:You may have some issues with the comp though Bodhi.
I've read s thread recently where this tree species has been re-classed again as a non native? I'll try find it for you.

Found it. Is this relevant?
I dont know but if i am going to put it up i will post it and let them make the call. :whistle:
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

After Joels suggestion of putting this setting on a slab the idea has stayed with me. Last month i put the idea into action and here it is in flower. A little unruly at the moment but it is a bit of a bugger to refine the foliage.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I love this group, I don't care what it is! :aussie:

Return to “Australian Native Species”