Another Fig

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Another Fig

Post by Jon Chown »

I seem to have a few figs in my collection and this one has a bit of a story to go with it.

I was selling a property for a lady a few years ago and during the course of the selling process, I had noticed and commented on the nice Bonsai collection on the shelves in the courtyard - anyway as time went by, I eventually sold the property and achieved an excellent price for the lady and at this time she advised that her Husband had walked out for another lady and the Bonsai were his - You guessed it, she said that I could have everything, tools, soil and pots and all. What a score.

Anyway, back to the Fig. This one was in a big plastic pot and had been planted over a rock, it didn't look much as it was burried up to the trunk so I left it in the corner for a few years and did very little to it. One day with not much doing, I decided to wash the dirt off and have a look at what I had. I could see potential in the trunk but the rock was as ugly as get up and weighed a ton - I don't know where he got the rock but the trunk at certainly taken to it so I was left with it. Apart from the weight, It is starting to grow on me.
23-12-08 020.jpg
Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Re: Another Fig

Post by Steven »

What a score Jon! You must have been the happiest agent in QLD that day :D
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jon Chown »

Yes Steven - It is one of the perks that go with the job. I have picked up several trees over the years from different people and met and made some great friends. One member of this site and I met on an American forum and we live only a couple of K's away from each other. I am trying to convince him to post some pictures here as he has some fine bonsai.

Jon
Jerry Meislik
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jerry Meislik »

Wonderful find, Jon.
Jerry
http://www.bonsaihunk.us
http://www.bonsaihunk.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jon Chown »

Thanks Jerry, now stop trolling and start posting. Just kidding mate, but would love to read about some of your discoveries that may help us to improve our Ficus.

Jon
Jerry Meislik
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jerry Meislik »

Jon,
I am working on some Ficus virens to discuss. Does anyone grow this Australian species for bonsai? I received a batch of seed from an Aussie friend some years back. I believe that the mother tree was the Curtain Fig. They are now very small trees but beginning to look like bonsai. Once I get some pictures of them I will post a brief summary of my experiences. I am also growing some virens from Thailand which is a bit different than the Aussie's. Other Australian Ficus are rubiginosa, infectoria, microcarpa, and obliqua. Some are seed grown and some are plants. A few were obtained as plants. I am growing other Ficus that are not Australian as well.
In some cases the identification of the material is a question.
Jerry
Ps did you mention the species of this Ficus?
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Hector Johnson »

I posted a thread on F. virens tonight, Jerry. Still early days for styling on that tree. They're a bugger to get leaf size down, consistently, from my experience.
Jerry Meislik
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jerry Meislik »

Hector,
Yes. Leaf size is larger than most of our bonsai. But I think well worth the effort.
Jerry
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jon Chown »

I am working on some Ficus virens to discuss. Does anyone grow this Australian species for bonsai?
Hi Jerry, yes I have two in my collection although not as big as Hectors. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have done with yours.

Jon
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jon Chown »

Hey Jerry, I just noticed your postscript....
Ps did you mention the species of this Ficus?
Quite frankly Jerry I have no idea which veriety it is and I will just have to throw one of your statements back at you ....
In some cases the identification of the material is a question.
I have quite a few figs in my collection and I wish it were easier to identify them. I have created a file on the various species of fig of the internet which has photos of leaf, bark and fruit but to my untrained eye so many of them look the same and from what I can gather even some of the experts can't agree on species.

Jon
Jerry Meislik
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jerry Meislik »

Jon,
The material on Ficus ID's that you have gathered, is it available anywhere?
Regards,
Jerry
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jon Chown »

The material on Ficus ID's that you have gathered, is it available anywhere?
Jerry, believe me when I say it is just something that I put together on Excel in order to try to understand a little more about Ficus. I am sure that it is way below your level of knowledge but you are welcome to a copy if you wish. I can email the file.

Jon
Jerry Meislik
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jerry Meislik »

Jon,
I am an avid student so yes, I would love to see your spreadsheet. I just spent several days trying to key out a Ficus that was seed grown by a friend who visited Australia some 20 plus years ago. The fig came into my collection many years ago.
It has never fruited so I can't use that factor. For some time now I could not decide if it is either rubiginosa, macrophylla, or obliqua. Currently the plant seems to just fit into a spot that is between macro and obliqua v. obliqua. Or perhaps its just something else entirely! I should post its image, leaf and bark to see what you all think.
Other plants from seed that I have acquired from an Australian seedsman has grown plants that seem not to be as named. Its just a very confusing world.
Fortunately in the US, in the bonsai trade there are only a dozen or so common Ficus plants. Identifying these is pretty easy. Often other Ficus from around the world, often collected, seem just impossible to ID.
Anyway its fun to be doing bonsai but much less fun to try to ID them.
Jerry

Return to “Australian Native Species”