Dead Melaleuca???

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Dead Melaleuca???

Post by MelaQuin »

How can I tell if a paperbark is dead?? It is a only a thick trunk and one slightly thinner branch. I can't do the standard fingernail test along the bark to see if it is green. There are no branchlets to snap. I don't want to risk checking roots and killing any possible progress. I don't want to make a serious cut to see if I can see green wood because that would disturb the tenuous nature of the roots if the tree is still alive. I'm happy to let it sit where it is but I'd just like some sign to tell me there's hope or there's death. So, how can I tell if a Melaleuca is alive [and I don't know which one it is tho I know several it is not - not quinquenervia, lineariifolia, alternifolia, prickly leaf] It does grow in Sydney. It was in bad condition when I got it but it is in the best soil now.

Any clues????
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: Dead Melaleuca???

Post by Pup »

MelaQuin wrote:How can I tell if a paperbark is dead?? It is a only a thick trunk and one slightly thinner branch. I can't do the standard fingernail test along the bark to see if it is green. There are no branchlets to snap. I don't want to risk checking roots and killing any possible progress. I don't want to make a serious cut to see if I can see green wood because that would disturb the tenuous nature of the roots if the tree is still alive. I'm happy to let it sit where it is but I'd just like some sign to tell me there's hope or there's death. So, how can I tell if a Melaleuca is alive [and I don't know which one it is tho I know several it is not - not quinquenervia, lineariifolia, alternifolia, prickly leaf] It does grow in Sydney. It was in bad condition when I got it but it is in the best soil now.

Any clues????
Penny what I do in this situation is sit it in water put it somewhere you will see it every day and wait. I have waited 18 months a mate has waited 2 years. Never give up on a paperbark. As they say tree and or scrub. What happens usually is they start sprouting like suckers. When they do start. Never guaranteed though. :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Post by mudlarkpottery »

It wasn't my post, Pup, but I'll keep it in mind when i have a similar problem.
Penny.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

mudlarkpottery wrote:It wasn't my post, Pup, but I'll keep it in mind when i have a similar problem.
Penny.
Sorry MelaQuin, Can I blame the Crhistmas spirit too much of.
Penny you are welcome :oops: :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Thanks Pup

I have on myself that I fear has gone from this world but as per your advice I will leave it on the bench and hope

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I have had it in a water tray and recently moved it out but tend to water it twice a day just to keep the soil very moist. I know the 'wait' bit. I have had 2 others sprout recently but this was very seriously deprived and heading towards 'terminal' when I got it. 6' tall with only a small crown of leaves over all the lower dead branches, gone through acute neglect. However, I have faith in the soil and I have no intentions of parting with it yet. Despite the fact I cannot yet identify it I have wanted this particular melaleuca for several years. The ash I got at the same time with the most horrendous roots I have ever seen [2.5 hours to remove the mass as I don't have power tools] and it has just started throwing out several buds. It was in much better condition so I'm still hoping. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Australian Native Species”