Windswept Natives

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
mashby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Australian Natives, Ficus, Chines Elm, D
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: WA Bonsai Workshop and Satsuki society of Australasia

Windswept Natives

Post by mashby »

Hi all
In an earlier topic and ensuing discussion regarding Australian Natives as Bonsai, Pup mentioned the various examples of "traditional" styles of Bonsai that can be found in mature trees growing in the bush. Sorry Pup, I hope I am not misdescribing the actual content of the thread.

Following are a couple of photos taken near Port Denison in WA which is about 45 mins to an hour below Geraldton on the northern coast above Perth.
PIC_0128.JPG
PIC_0129.JPG
These particular trees are "River Gums" (eucalyptus camaldulensis) and can be found like this all up the north coast of WA above Perth.

I'm sure there are other photos of native Bonsai inspiration out there, so, why not post them and really start creating our own Aussie styles of Bonsai or emulationg the tradional styles if that is more your way of thinking.

Sent from Bunbury, in WA's southwest on the last day of nearly 4 weeks of accompanying an international Buddhist teacher and being his attendant while he gave teachings and guided meditation to various communities around the south-west. Calm and serene -just like when I am concentrating on wiring the baby branches on my Satsuki, except the only "crack" I've heard down here is the crack of Venerable's whip when he wants something to eat!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"My religion is very simple, my religion is kindness." The Dalai Lama
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Windswept Natives

Post by Jamie »

hi mate :D

wonderful shots for inspiration, I would say that these would have actually ground layered themselves to and would be getting nutrients from several area's of the tree that have made contact with the ground!

love the second one :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Thank you for these Michael, last time I was up that way was pre digital days, and I am certainly not going though all my negatives to find the ones I took.

The habit of these tree's is subject to a lot of study. The reason being is what causes this to happen?. There is conjecture from one quarter, that is the salt laden wind.

Another is the strength of the winds coming in from the sea, not so much the salt air. Yet another is that it is genetic as it only happens to those tree's in that area.

It does happen as can be seen, but it does not happen to other tree's or scrubs in the same area.

I forget who asked me to post them as when this was discussed. I did not ignore you I was looking, the only one's I found were in a book, and I could not get a decent shot I will try again now the weather is better I can do it out side.

Cheers :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
aussie4bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Sakura Studio & B.F.A

Post by aussie4bonsai »

Hi Mashby
Your photos of windswept trees bring back memories 1967 I worked at Exmouth.
Going up from Perth windswept trees west side of the highway and willy-willies on the east side between Geraldton and Carnarvon.
I wonder if it is any different today.
Barry
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Just to follow what Michael has posted, I have tried to take some pictures of the pages of my book they are a bit fuzzy but you can make them out.
P1100795.JPG
P1100796.JPG
P1100797.JPG
P1100798.JPG
Barry it is bitumen all they way now, Exmouth is a big tourist town, with Ningallo reef with the whale sharks . In 1996 worked on the radio station for the Yanks, should of stayed there instead of going to Wittenoom.

Cheers :) Pup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
aussie4bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Sakura Studio & B.F.A

Post by aussie4bonsai »

Hi Pup
I only have standard 8mm movie of that era.
(Bit crappy for what is around today).
I worked on the Library and baby health center they were building the towers then.
Barry

Return to “Australian Native Species”