Red Iron Bark

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: peppercorn
Bonsai Age: 20

Red Iron Bark

Post by Marc »

Hi all, has anyone tried a Red Iron Bark Eucalypt? I see them around here and there, then a few weekends ago I saw a magnificently large one growing and asked my forrester brother in law what species it was. he told me and now I want one!

Such a deep red, almost black, deeply fissured bark, magnificent.

So, anyone done one!?!?

Oh, btw, he works in a private forrest in the country, been fighting fires recently.... anyways, he reckons there are 50yo, or older, gums growing in his forrest sitting about 1m tall he can lay his hands on... :D when I get me some, I will post the pics!!!
teejay
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society, APAB Study Group

Re: Red Iron Bark

Post by teejay »

I know that E. Sideroxylon (Pink Flowering Ironbark) Is a popular one, and I have a few actually. As for "Red" Ironbark, if this is different, I don't know.

After a quick wiki check it appears that "Red Ironbark" refers to at least three different Eucs.
Last edited by teejay on February 17th, 2009, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I really do wish they'd hurry up and grow.
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Post by FlyBri »

teejay wrote:I know that E. Sideroxylon (Pink Flowering Ironbark) Is a popular one, and I have a few actually. As for "Red" Ironbark, if this is different, I don't know.

After a quick wiki check it appears that "Red Ironbark" refers to at least three different Eucs.
According to Dean Nicolle*, there are 2 species commonly referred to as Red Ironbark which are endemic to Victoria: E. sideroxylon (which is naturally confined to a small patch near Winton on the Murray River) and E. tricarpa (which is much more widespread, occurring in the box-ironbark woodlands of Central Victoria, and in much of East Gippsland). The flowers of E. sideroxylon vary from pink to red and occur in groups of 7, whereas the flowers of E. tricarpa are cream/white and occur in groups of only 3.

It is my guess that it is more likely to be E. tricarpa, but I'm often wrong. I'll be interested in seeing some photos when the time comes.

Thanks.

Fly.

* 'Eucalypts of Victoria and Tasmania', Dean Nicolle, Bloomings Books P/L, 2006.
Last edited by FlyBri on February 17th, 2009, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: peppercorn
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by Marc »

Dudes, thanks for the reply, nah, couldn't tell you specifics... it was a mighty attractive tree. if i find out more info i'll post.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Marc wrote:anyways, he reckons there are 50yo, or older, gums growing in his forrest sitting about 1m tall he can lay his hands on... :D when I get me some, I will post the pics!!!
Dont forget to get permission!! Even private land, natives are protected!
Young and hostile but not stupid.

Return to “Australian Native Species”