Too extreme a lean??

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: Too extreme a lean??

Post by Pup »

banksia wrote:Thanks alot Guys!. I've always been a little concerned for the branches mentioned, and up till now these have been healthy as ever. As Pup said though, these could keel over anytime! So I must entertain the thought of a re-style.
The planting angle can be changed next repot if need be...at the moment there's a small piece of stone wedged underneath the trunk as to prop it up abit.
Pup wrote:Stand it up Pup
I thought you'd to say something like that!! :roll: ....this almost sounds like an invitation over to your place!! :lol:
Seriously though, I like the idea of a semi-cascade....this will be looked into further. At the moment I'll just bide my time and keep it healthy. Thanks for your comments there much appreciated.

Cheers!,
Anthony ;)
Just say when as you know we are always here.
We enjoyed our break. Well it nearly was a broken neck she caught me on our cousins pc. :oops: Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I think they have counsellors for that Pup :lol:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

soltan wrote:I think they have counsellors for that Pup :lol:

She told me that just before she hit me with it.
She calls it a rolling pin with attitude it changes yours :P :oops: :roll:

Jerry Meislik
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jerry Meislik »

Nice tree.
Taking some of the advice above?
Jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.bonsaihunk.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I think that is great maybe a freeform pot to finish it off would be excellent.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Post by FlyBri »

Gday team!

I like the idea of standing it up a little. I've taken the liberty of doing a cruddy Virt showing the tree tilted 15 degrees to the left, and I find it more dynamic than the current horizontal placement.
Banksia's_Mel_Virt.jpg
Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Fly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave54
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Nil

Post by Dave54 »

Hi Guys,
Those pics look great.
Would still remove the bottom right. I think would add significantly to the balance of the tree
Any chance Jerry or FB
cheers
Dave
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleucas, Callistemons, Bougies

Post by banksia »

Everyone! Thanks for the kind replies. The virtual really works well with me...I like that heaps Fly!.
soltan wrote:I think that is great maybe a freeform pot to finish it off would be excellent.
Now...where can I get a good hand-made free form pot from?? :P
Thanks for the kind words, I'll keep you posted on any developments in the future.

Cheers!,
Anthony ;)
jarryd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tasmanian Natives
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by jarryd »

i like the tree as is :D when i saw it i thought to myself heres a tree growing on a big slope and there has been a landslide or two during its life making the tree slide right over. maybee even to hang over a creek bed or whatever. the fact is this tree is one of a kind at the moment. stand it back up and you just have another half decent bonsai tree with no story. i think you have a very nice very individual tree and that you should enjoy it and enjoy listening to all those who try and tell you to change everything to turn it into another cookie cutter upright tree but know in your heart that this tree is special and you wouldnt change it for the world.

thats just my opinion so take it as you wish, i know heeps of bonsai artists on this site that are far more experienced and far more skilled then me that have told you otherwise, but i think it would be sad to see this beautiful tree loose its personality, its story. think back to when you purchased this tree from the nursery, i bet this unusual lean was one of the main reasons you bought it, you most probably thought to yourself how unusual. i think if you could get a pot made land and water style it would suit this tree and improve its overall beauty. i think a sloped land area whith a nice horizontal area extending under the foliage seperated from the land section so that it can be filled with water. then you would have a masterpeice ;) a one of a kind beauty.

my two cents kind regards jarryd.
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/montanebonsai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog http://www.montanebonsai.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Post by FlyBri »

Dave54 wrote:Would still remove the bottom right. I think would add significantly to the balance of the tree
Any chance Jerry or FB
Gday Dave & Co!

As requested:
Banksia's_Mel_Virt_2.jpg
Then I got a little trigger happy with the virtual secateurs, and grew a new virtual leader. Not sure about it, but I'll share anyway...
Banksia's_Mel_Virt_3.jpg
Enjoy!

Fly.
Last edited by FlyBri on March 27th, 2009, 8:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

jarryd wrote:i like the tree as is :D when i saw it i thought to myself heres a tree growing on a big slope and there has been a landslide or two during its life making the tree slide right over. maybee even to hang over a creek bed or whatever. the fact is this tree is one of a kind at the moment. stand it back up and you just have another half decent bonsai tree with no story. i think you have a very nice very individual tree and that you should enjoy it and enjoy listening to all those who try and tell you to change everything to turn it into another cookie cutter upright tree but know in your heart that this tree is special and you wouldnt change it for the world.

thats just my opinion so take it as you wish, i know heeps of bonsai artists on this site that are far more experienced and far more skilled then me that have told you otherwise, but i think it would be sad to see this beautiful tree loose its personality, its story. think back to when you purchased this tree from the nursery, i bet this unusual lean was one of the main reasons you bought it, you most probably thought to yourself how unusual. i think if you could get a pot made land and water style it would suit this tree and improve its overall beauty. i think a sloped land area whith a nice horizontal area extending under the foliage seperated from the land section so that it can be filled with water. then you would have a masterpeice ;) a one of a kind beauty.

my two cents kind regards jarryd.
I agree with Jarryd. The lean maketh the tree and it is now becoming more and more conventional.

Grant
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

unconventional makes me happy :D
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
Dave54
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Nil

Post by Dave54 »

Hi Guys,
I agree wholeheartedly about the lean, definately no more upright than in Jerry's photo. The lean is what maketh the tree.
Crikey FB, I have the reputation for being ruthless with the cut.....Are you after my crown???? :lol:
FB any chance of Jerry's lean with that bottom right branch removed. That would be the winner for me
cheers
Dave
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleucas, Callistemons, Bougies

Post by banksia »

Well!!...It took me all of about 48-72hrs to think it over, but I succombed to the pressure :lol:
I had to make a replacement grow box for another plant so I doubled up and made another for this....removed the offending branch, and improved the planting angle somewhat.
I'll hold back on doing any further styling on it (wiring trimming etc..)for about 3-6 months and let it settle in a bit.
I quite like the new approach...I'll regualary update its progress.

Cheers!
Anthony ;)
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Much much betterera ;) :roll: :lol: Thats where you were!! time well spent. :D Pup

Return to “Australian Native Species”