Banksia as a group planting, anyone done them.

Ericifolia, Integrifolia, Marginata, Serrata, Spinulosa etc
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Banksia as a group planting, anyone done them.

Post by Josh »

I have 5 bansia and thought about doing a group planting with them but there doesn't seem to be any around. Has anyone on here done a group/forest planting using banksia :?:
Would there be an down side to using banksia as a group planting

Mine have been re potted recently and pruned hard so have to grow and re shoot first but they are different sizes and would be an interesting group I think.
Couldn't find any group planting of banksia on the net so just wondering..if anyone has them as a group can you post a picture for me.

Thansk
Josh
RogerW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Re: Banksia as a group planting, anyone done them.

Post by RogerW »

Hi Josh,

I think it would depend on the species. You could check with Grant, as I recall he did a demo of a group of Banksias.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

No reason not to do one. I did one as a demo for the Mornington Peninsular club a few years ago with B serrata.

grant
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Grant Bowie wrote:No reason not to do one. I did one as a demo for the Mornington Peninsular club a few years ago with B serrata.

grant
Thanks Grant. I just thought it was strange as no results showed anything for banksia group planting as a death anywhere. These are similar the serenata but have a smaller leaf. Should be good in a group I think.

Thanks Wimmy, I was hoping Grant would see this. It will be a while before I put them together but will now grow them on with the intention of putting together.

Josh.
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

I acquired a large group of b.integrifolia a year ago, 5 trees and too big to lift it was assembled by Brian Sampson many years ago.
The trees were in desperate need of a repot and although I believe they were all integrifolia the foliage did not match perfectly which annoyed me. Health has returned and one of the trees will be part of the BSV Australian native presentation tonight. We are considering a two tree planting or a single tree planting but will decide at the last minute after some discussion. Come along if you can.
If your trees all have matching foliage they can make a great group composition.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Gerard wrote:I acquired a large group of b.integrifolia a year ago, 5 trees and too big to lift it was assembled by Brian Sampson many years ago.
The trees were in desperate need of a repot and although I believe they were all integrifolia the foliage did not match perfectly which annoyed me. Health has returned and one of the trees will be part of the BSV Australian native presentation tonight. We are considering a two tree planting or a single tree planting but will decide at the last minute after some discussion. Come along if you can.
If your trees all have matching foliage they can make a great group composition.
Thanks Gerard, that would have been awesome but my girls would kill me if I went. We already have a final fishing night organised before they go back to school. Would have been good to see.
They all have the same foliage so and different sized trunks so I will give it a go and let you know how it goes.

Josh.

Return to “Banksia”