Ericifolia, Integrifolia, Marginata, Serrata, Spinulosa etc
Petrdion
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper, ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Collecting Banksia

Post by Petrdion »

I have a Banksia (not sure which species) that is in the wrong place in my garden and has to go to make room for some garden edging. I was wondering when is the best time to collect it as it seems a shame to just shred it up into mulch when a good bonsai is just waiting to be created. I planted the tree a few years ago as a sapling and it has flourished. I live in Springfield, Ipswich up in sunny Queensland.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Collecting Banksia

Post by shibui »

Down here I have transplanted banksias in late spring - October/ November. Over half of my first batch survived so I'll be trying variations to try to get the success rate up higher.
In general the best time to root prune banksias and most natives is when they are actively growing in warmer weather. Maybe that's all year round in sunny QLD?
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Petrdion
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper, ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Petrdion »

Thanks for the advice shibui. You are right we do have a mild winter compared to you down south, so maybe I'll give it a go late spring.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

shibui wrote:Down here I have transplanted banksias in late spring - October/ November. Over half of my first batch survived so I'll be trying variations to try to get the success rate up higher.
In general the best time to root prune banksias and most natives is when they are actively growing in warmer weather. Maybe that's all year round in sunny QLD?
Last 2 years I've been repotting in early February, seems to be working well so far but I may try your timing this year. Your thoughts on repotting Banksia that late Neil?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Good point Pearcy. I was assuming that most people are eager to get on with it so was pointing out the earlier end of root pruning window. You are correct that the opportunity lasts through summer.
A few years ago I experimented with root pruning banksias at different times. All through summer seems to be Ok. My trial plants just kept on growing after root pruning in November, December, January and February (different plants each time). The ones I did in March just sat and sulked all winter but finally started to grow again the following summer, though later than any others which I assume was related to the extra stress. When those ones failed to respond I did not keep trying through the winter.

Note that this is just a single trial over one season with quite young B. integrifolia. It would be great to see some more trials of different species and in different climate zones to get even more data.
I have not tried earlier than November here. It is likely that in warmer areas you could repot a bit earlier. Scope for someone else to investigate further.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Banksia”