Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: BANKSIA INTEGRIFOLIA AS BONSAI

Post by Grant Bowie »

On the power feed label it gives various rates for usage and the latter ones at 90ml per 9ltr seem to be for plants in the ground. I use a rate of 30ml per 9ltr every 2 weeks. I have tried stronger and more frequently but noticed no real difference.

Grant
Charliegreen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Charliegreen »

Grant your Banksia creations and knowledge base is Inspirational!
I dont think Ive seen a better native Bonsai. :hooray:

It may be in this forum, but I cant find it. What is your Soil mix for this species and annual Fertilizer regime? Optimum PH?

Can Banksia been grown in high % of Diatomite???

Thanks.
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by NAHamilton »

Hi Charlie,

That info is at the top of page 7 of this thread. I've got two growing on in 3 parts Diatomite, 1 part cocopeat which seem to be pretty healthy.

Cheers,
Nigel
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

The actual components of the potting mix is unimportant but you need one that will suit the tree and your micro climate. It is the ratio of various components that you can access easily that is important.

For instance I don't use TurfAce, but it would be OK as say 5 pr 10% if you need a mix to hold a bit more water, or you can use smaller particle sizes etc.

In Canberra I have to cope with possible 35 degrees to higher with no humidity on some days in summer and possible long, wet or dry winters with below freezing very frequently.

My mix seems to cope with the changes. The most important aspect is either good draining or not getting wet in the first place.(a root bound tree in compacted soil rarely dies of root rot but it is not ideal).

I water frequently in summer days and Spring is very difficult sometimes to keep up with the copious growth I mostly get.

I try to fertilise every two weeks and repot every 2 per 3 years but it often blows out to longer with older trees.

Grant.
Mikki032
Favorite Species: Serrissa
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Mikki032 »

Hi there, I am wondering if you can help me, I live in Western Australia and have just been given a small Banksia (it says Old Man Banksia on the label). I know it was bought from Bunnings as a Mothers Day gift, it's very small about 1ft tall. I would like some information on the best care of it and how to grow it on, especially as it was a gift I want to do my best to keep it alive. It is also coming into winter here, so don't think I can do too much until the beginning of Summer. I have been doing bonsai now for about 4 year now as there are no clubs in my area all the knowledge I have gained has been from books, Internet etc so need some help with this please.
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

Banksia Serrata (old man banksia) also known as (saw banksia) is very common in the eastern states. It grows very strongly and can cope with very aggressive pruning, it grows very quickly in a bonsai pot, but be careful with fertilizer. All banksias develop proteoid roots which enable them to take up nutrients from poor quality soil. These will be less likely to develop in a well fertilized tree but if they exist fertilizer might be a bit of a shock so build up the dose slowly. Here is a picture from the 2015 native symposium
native symposium 2015 39 banksia serrata (old man banksia).jpg
Looking at the bark you can see why it is known as "old man banksia"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Feed every 3-4 weeks with a low P 'native' fertiliser all year round.
Full sun is desirable but you will need to be able to water enough to beat the heat. If in doubt, some afternoon shade may be appropriate.
Water thoroughly when potting mix starts to get dry. Avoid keeping banksias wet for long periods but don't let it get totally dry.
Prune new shoots whenever they grow too long. Cut back far enough to maintain the shape you want for the tree.
Harder pruning to remove larger branches can be done any time of year but the tree will bud and grow back quicker in spring and summer. B. serrate will bud on very old, bare wood after hard pruning.
Repot in warmer weather, usually November - Feb. Repotting is safe even if the tree has new shoots growing. Remove up to 1/2 of the existing roots. banksias grow lots of very fine feeder roots quite quickly so they get pot bound quickly and it becomes very difficult to water properly. I'd recommend repotting every 1-2 years for younger trees.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jdceng
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jdceng »

Hi Niel

Not sure all know that Neutrog have developed a fertilizer just for natives called BUSH TUCKER.

I have just had great success on all of the native's I have growing in the ground as screens and others up here on the mid north coast of NSW.

Over the last 10 years they have struggled because of large gum trees nearby on the neighbors side and growing in clay, I have tried everything else but the Bush Tucker has done the trick lots of new growth everywhere. :tu:

So I would think that it would be equally as good on bonsai natives backed off a bit.

It is in a granular form like dynamic lifter.

This is a link for a read up. http://www.neutrog.com.au/new-product-page-41

Oh while I'm at it they also have a product called Sudden Impact for Roses and a few others that produce amazing results. http://www.neutrog.com.au/signature-range/

They are also the manufactures of Seamungus.
JC
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

IMG_0771.jpg
Hi all, just an update on the B integrifolia I donated to the collection a few years ago.

As usual it is going gang busters with lots of growth and new buds at this time of year. Yesterday I gave it a light trim and will do so again next Thursday and the following Thursdays for a while yet.

Grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Tree is massive Grant!
Looks absolutely spectacular (as always) and now with a better idea of perspective I'm even more impressed!
I particularly like the amount of movement on what appears to be every single branch/trunk.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Since its original training years ago I have been trying to impart more movement in each branch by occasional hard prune back and regrowing branches in new directions. Effectively clip and grow but with occasional directional wiring.

The trunk has continued to expand dramatically over the years and I will be on the look out for a deeper, possibly square or round semi cascade pot for it in the future. The heavy low branch will become a more dominant feature in the future as well.

Grant
MattM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by MattM »

I have just wired my Integrifolio for the first time. How long before the branches set so I should remove the wire. I am in Western Sydney.
Thanks,
Matt

Sent from my CPH1715 using Tapatalk
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Fair.Dinkum.Unbelievable.

Just starting to read this thread ... Grant Bowie - your initial discussion that started this thread is incredible. The depth of knowledge is staggering.

As is my way on a Sunday morning after a stint at gym... I’m getting all reflective. Excuse me but I can feel a verbal ramble coming on.

The experienced members of this forum amaze me. Firstly, with their desire to pass on knowledge and inspire action; in this instance, perhaps to push the mob to use more natives as Bonsai.

Secondly - that they collectively have any patience to look at the twigs of mine and others and not just fall asleep with boredom and/or just take the p!ss out of us newcomers.

Anyway ... we all start somewhere I guess and if it helps you experienced folk in this forum, at my club the YVBS or the many other clubs and societies around ... please know that you are inspiring folk like me to take action.

Here’s two photos by way of evidence ... my courtyard this sunny morning ... look closely you’ll see Japanese and Chinese Elm, various Junipers, Japanese Maple, NZ Pohutukawa, Boulevard Cypress, Jacaranda .... and a shed load of twisted little Moonah’s.
IMG_6182.jpg
Now take a step back to another pocket of my wee little garden. Your work has inspired a move towards natives. Take another close look and you’ll see Casuarinas, River Red Gums, Acacia, Hakea, Swamp Paperbark ... to name a few.
IMG_6183.jpg
Thanks for putting up with us new people - it is appreciated and we are learning.

Cheers,

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

New info re Carving of Banksia..

Before coming into hospital I cleaned up a carved section that had died back a few years ago; down to ground level, but had not rotted into the ground as the roots were strong and ‘entire’, that is wrapped in healthy bark above ground which then strengtheneded as it grew over time. I intend to paint with lime sulphur coloured black to imitate a burned out trunk once new bark has regrown over carved cambium. Very soft wood so easy to carve and direct. This is on a small, skinnyish 35cm bonsai and am also carving a much bigger b integrifolia with a die grinder, photos etc in a while when home. Looks promising for reducing ugly stumps with no complications.banksia can suffer from root rot but love water, so ther is always a fine line to tread in summer and winter.

Grant
Last edited by Grant Bowie on January 31st, 2019, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, maple, ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by bonsaeen »

Great information Grant thanks. I believe I bought Banksia Integrefolia because i read this thread while researching for the Natural Competition. :yes:

Return to “Banksia”