Banksia integrifolia starter..

Ericifolia, Integrifolia, Marginata, Serrata, Spinulosa etc
bonscythe
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Banksia, Melaleuca (Any Aussie Native!)
Bonsai Age: 9

Banksia integrifolia starter..

Post by bonscythe »

Hi all,
This is my first post here and I am inexperienced with Banksia as bonsai although I have thoroughly read Grant's additions to this site (and others). I have recently purchased 2 plants from a local nursery for ($6 each) and repotted one into a larger ceramic pot. I bought them with the intention to bonsai them somehow?
Picture has been attched (next to cricket stumps for scale-purposes).
B. integrifolia 4-4-09.jpg
My questions are;
When should I chop him down to a 'bonsai' size?
Should I wait till the trunk fattens up in this size pot or put it into a bonsai pot and wait?
Is total defoliation the only way to achieve more compact leaves and shorter internode spacing?

Thanks everyone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Banksia integrifolia starter..

Post by Grant Bowie »

In general most trees will fatten quicker if potted up to a larger nursery pot and let grow. This is fine as long as it is a tree that buds back well and the common Banksia are in this category.

Banksia do however fatten up even in a bonsai pot if well fertilised; so it is basically your choice.

If you want a really fat trunk then pot it up now and let grow with light trimming for a year or two.

If you don't mind a slimmer but refined tree quicker then cut down and put into a bonsai pot.

Take the usual precautions at this time of year with natives; it is a good time to repot established natives bonsai now but a severe cut down and repot now may be a bit hazardous. In Sydney it may still be Ok to cut down now, let come into growth and elongate and cut back lightly in 6 weeks time then repot; but it is getting late in the season and depends where you live in Sydney ie coastal or Penrith etc

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Oh and I don't recommend total defoliation as it is unnecessary. When you trim back hard you can wait for the new growth then cut off the remaining old leaves.

Grant
bonscythe
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Banksia, Melaleuca (Any Aussie Native!)
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by bonscythe »

The pot it is in now is around 20cm in diameter (at soil level), will this be sufficient to gain a trunk of approx. 3-5cms?
I think I will leave the pruning till spring in that case. I did read though that the new growth (while still soft) is succeptable to frost damage, should I remove this new growth on my serrata and integrifolia before the first frosts hit soon (I live in South-Western Sydney, not coastal)?
Thanks alot for your speedy replies!
Cheers - Pat
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

A 20cm pot will allow a trunk of about 20mm to 30mm. You would need a bigger pot for a 50mm trunk.

No need to remove current new growth as it will be hardened off by the time frosts hit.

Only if you cut back hard now and force new growth around end of May would that growth be damaged and possibly harm the tree.

Grant
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I would keep in this pot for this year, and then next Spring / summer do a trunk chop (to generate taper) and repot into a larger pot then

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries

Return to “Banksia”