Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Banksia marginata

Post by shibui »

Still frustrated by Banksia marginata.
This is the only surviving plant from the 6 I germinated around 8 years ago. The others all died, one or 2 each year but in each case very suddenly, mostly in spring or early summer. Now the last survivor has suddenly died back leaving only 2 lower branches alive. At least it hasn't died completely :) .
banksia marginata.JPG
I had assumed the deaths were a result of the plants drying out, maybe even for a short period but I'm starting to wonder if this might be a result of fungal attack? The seed was collected from local trees - the inland form of B. marginata which some botanists have told me have some distinct differences from the coastal plants. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar problems with either coastal or inland or Tassie forms.

So far no other East coast species showing similar tendencies here :fc:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Banksia marginata

Post by Grant Bowie »

I had found B marginata very variable; health and vigour wise, when I lived near Mittagaong (500mtrs altitude and about 60klms from the coast).

I saw some very healthy ones, probably planted, at Berrima (near Mossvale) and I assumed you would have no problems with them where you live as they are local to your area..

The less humidity the better for them; I have 2 here in Canberra and they are very healthy so I can't see why yours would be problematic. They are water weeds here and I do keep them moist when they are in soft growth and then back off when they are hardened off.

Interested if you work it out although with those loss rates I don't imagine you will persevere.

Grant
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Shibui, what are you feeding them? Normal osmocote will kill them. So will dynamic lifer type stuff. You need to be extremely careful with your feeding or even the p/mix you start with should be prepared for low P plants or they just drop dead!
Just a thought.

Is it just me or are banksias not the best for bonsai? The big ones shaped like black pines do nothing for me. I have not seen them shaped as ''natural'' styles but I would like to see one. In fact i don't remember seeing a bonsai banksia that made me look twice. Personally I think there is so much better native material. Maybe a small leaved variety shaped into a wind swept bunjin?
Last edited by treeman on January 10th, 2015, 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

treeman wrote:Is it just me or are banksias not the best for bonsai? The big ones shaped like black pines do nothing for me. I have not seen and shaped as ''natural'' styles but I would like to see one. In fact i don't remember seeing a bonsai banksia that made me look twice. Personally I think there is so much better native material. Maybe a small leaved variety shaped into a wind swept bunjin?
I'm afraid that I agree with Treeman... but then opinions are like navel-lint, everyone has their own colour!
Cheers
Elmar
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Think I may be in that camp too Treeman... I have recently gone on a bit of a native bender in regards to stock... Mels, Leptospermum, Leucopogon, Allocasuarina, more Mels - never even considered a banksia. Maybe that's a subliminal sign that "I'm just not that into them"??? Don't know for sure, but they never seem to get high on my radar.
Rustdust
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Undecided
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Rustdust »

interesting thread, I am curious to see if there is a conclusion to this !
Although a tree is a thousand Chang in height, its leaves still fall to the ground.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Shibui, what are you feeding them? Normal osmocote will kill them. So will dynamic lifer type stuff. You need to be extremely careful with your feeding or even the p/mix you start with should be prepared for low P plants or they just drop dead!
Just a thought.
Thanks for the advice Treeman. I have been growing banksias for quite a long time. I've actually killed more by being frightened of feeding and repotting than from using the wrong fertilisers. I am using low P osmocote in the mix for all the banksias and adenanthos. Because the low P osmocote has a relatively short life they also need supplementary feeding or they do start to starve. Over the last 3 years I have found that chook poo pellets is actually quite good - still relatively low amounts but it does make a difference to the health and growth rates.
There is research that shows plants with lots of proteoid roots are sensitive to even low levels of P but you can desensitise them by giving regular small doses. The tree just sheds the proteoid roots and can eventually tolerate what we consider 'normal' levels of P. Plants that have been raised with P available do not develop many proteoid roots and can take much more fert than those raised with low levels of nutrients. I usually avoid giving the banksias high P ferts and only use low P on them but a few weeks ago I fertilised a tray of Tassie B. marginata seedlings with Thrive by mistake. So far no sign of any problems and they would normally be well dead by now if they were sensitive. That particular tray is among exotics and has been getting regular doses of whatever I am fertilising with so they have never developed intolerance.

I actually think that banksias show real potential as bonsai. They grow quite fast. They thicken dramatically, even in a small pot (a bit like figs). Tolerate quite severe root reduction (as long as it is in warmer months) and shoot prolifically from older and bare wood. In fact, all the attributes of figs but cold hardy along with all the rest. There must be a recipe for a great bonsai with all that going for them. Getting the shape right may take some doing but I have seen some excellent examples at Canberra shows. Grant Bowie is one grower who has some excellent specimens and a great deal of knowledge from many years experience with banksias.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum

Post by Boics »

Yes I am very surprised at the negative Banksia views.
I rate them as excellent Native material.

Admittedly I haven't seen too many with a natural style but this doesn't mean they don't look fantastic!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

Shibui wrote:I actually think that banksias show real potential as bonsai. They grow quite fast. They thicken dramatically, even in a small pot (a bit like figs). Tolerate quite severe root reduction (as long as it is in warmer months) and shoot prolifically from older and bare wood. In fact, all the attributes of figs but cold hardy along with all the rest. There must be a recipe for a great bonsai with all that going for them. Getting the shape right may take some doing but I have seen some excellent examples at Canberra shows. Grant Bowie is one grower who has some excellent specimens and a great deal of knowledge from many years experience with banksias.
Boics wrote:Yes I am very surprised at the negative Banksia views.
I rate them as excellent Native material.

Admittedly I haven't seen too many with a natural style but this doesn't mean they don't look fantastic!
I don't doubt it guys, and like I said, I'm not against Banksias, but just have never really had them high on my list of bonsai "gotta get me one of these" trees.... although ironically this thread may pull them into my line of sight next time I'm out looking for a pot-filler!!?! You never know... I never thought natives in general would be my thing but I now have plenty - gotta keep your eyes open!
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

Banksias are emerging as one of my favourite species. The very rugged looking b.serrata, the classical and natural b.integrifolia Grant Bowie has some good ones, the more delicate (and difficult) b.ericafolia Peter H posted a picture of a wonderful specimen in recent weeks and my favourite .b marginata
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum

Post by Boics »

One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

A lot of Natives, including Banksia, are badly afflicted by Black Pine Disease(BPD). Once they are infected by this dangerous, but not terminal, disease they never recover their natural beauty.

They do respond to a form of Chinese medicine called Penjing; specifically regular use of the clip and grow technique.

They are lightly allergic to the application of wire but do respond well to fertilising and repotting.

I admit I do love Banksia and would encourage everyone to try them.

There is a new Banksia integrifolia on display at the NBPCA. It is very large and is a very natural looking triple trunked specimen.

Grant
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I agree that Banksia are awesome trees as Bonsai.
They can be grown as mame or small shohin to larger sizes as the leaves reduce really well. ( at least on B. integrifolia that I have)
The trunks and bark are awesome too.
Easy to propogate via Cuttings or layers
Unlike grant I find they wire easily ( care to elaborate on that Grant? ).

They are in my list of easy care trees, and I cannot think of any reason why anyone would not have one :lost:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

kcpoole wrote:I agree that Banksia are awesome trees as Bonsai.
They can be grown as mame or small shohin to larger sizes as the leaves reduce really well. ( at least on B. integrifolia that I have)

They are in my list of easy care trees, and I cannot think of any reason why anyone would not have one :lost:

Ken
I just avoid using wire on Banksia; to try and get a more natural feel and look.

If you do wire you do it very lightly and avoid wiring down branches as they lose vigour.

Grant
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Grant Bowie wrote:
kcpoole wrote:I agree that Banksia are awesome trees as Bonsai.

Ken
I just avoid using wire on Banksia; to try and get a more natural feel and look.

If you do wire you do it very lightly and avoid wiring down branches as they lose vigour.

Grant
Yeah, I found this too. When I started wiring my banksia I tended to lose branches. I have never had any success at all with the species in general. I have tried Integrifolia, serrata, marginata and spinulosa. I would eventually lose all of them. I absolutely love banksia and think they look spectacular as bonsai. I am very jealous of people that grow them well, and seeing a few of Grant Bowie's was what inspired me to try them again, but I still lost them, and got frustrated at continually losing them that I gave up. I guess I should probably try again, but I think maybe the humidity and lack of sun doesn't help where my bonsai are. I planted a few Integrifolia at the front of our house for the garden that are doing very well and attract beautiful native birds, so the humidity can't be a problem for me, it must just be me and either watering or cutting back too hard that is the problem.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227

Return to “Banksia”