Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

my first banksia integrifolia

Post by Jamie »

hey people,

i got this banksia today, i havent taken a pic of the whole tree as it is still quite young with only a one inch trunk although it is already showing signs of the mature rolling of the trunk which may help in the ID so here are the leaves, they are about on average 80mm-100mm approx. long x 30mm-400mm approx across at the widest point, the leaves are serrated but not overly pronounced. they are quite a stiff leaf to with a sort of rough texture.
Bank1.jpg
Bank.jpg
i was hoping to put this into a growing box straight away but on inspection of the roots i found some rather horrifying things, it looked like either a root rot fungi or wooly aphid, so it had to be practically bare rooted and repotted which was put into a free draining mix of two parts diatomite by one part bonsai soil and then watered in with seasol and super thrive, hopefully it will bounce back strong and be back where i want it shortly.
i also had to remove some damaged leaves that at first looked like a nutrient deficiency prob but it corresponds with root rot fungi/aphid problem.

cheers guys :D

jamie :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jamie on February 14th, 2010, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: banksia ID and progression

Post by Grant Bowie »

Its a Banksia integrifolia again.

What you are seeing is a slightly juvenile form of the adult leaf. It is also normal for older leaves to yellow and drop off so it may not indicate anything as long as the new growth is healthy looking. In the post by CraigW he was worried because the new growth looked off color; yours doesn't.

Also the root system on Banksia can have a Proteoid root which looks like a fungus or mychorizae. There is no indication of disease or deficiency on the leaves you have shown us.

You have done the right thing to pot it on, and you can remove the proteoid roots with out any damage. Then in a little while you can start a fertilizing regime and off you go.

Banksia is still a misunderstood plant but is being used widely now.

Grant
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Re: banksia ID and progression

Post by Jamie »

thanks grant that helps a lot :D i was a little worried about these things, the older leaves down low were yellowing off which i thought were a deficiency or disease/pest, you have put me at ease a now and i can let it get on with things with out giving the tree bad karma by thinking it is going to die :lol:
the other thing i was going to say is that yes the new growth looks quite strong and healthy so we should be good to go :D

Last edited by Jamie on February 14th, 2010, 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Re: my first banksia integrifolia

Post by Jamie »

heres a pic of the trunk at the worst possible angle, the part of the trunk i will be using anyways, i only just noticed it was the worst possible angle as it doesnt show the actual movement of the trunk at all it shows the trunk straight as a ramrod! bugger, anyways i took the pic for the aging of the trunk, i am quite amazed it is starting to show the rolled look banksia gets.
i am going to be growing it out, chopping back to get sacrifice branches eventually and grow the hell out of the trunk.

i will get another pic shortly :oops:
Bankt.jpg
jamie

edit, the movement actually goes backward away from this veiw then back towards the camera, it has a nice subtle movement. it wont matter in 12-24 months anyways :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jamie on February 14th, 2010, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
strawbs
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of sydney

Post by strawbs »

bout time u got off the figs Jamie. lol
You can't have order without chaos.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

strawbs wrote:bout time u got off the figs Jamie. lol

:lol: :lol: oh mate if only, i just havent posted all the new ones yet as i thought you might be getting sick of them :lol:
Last edited by Jamie on February 14th, 2010, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Sorry for busting in Jamie ;) Hi Guys has anyone experienced Banksias karking it ? I had 3 in 250mm pots letting them grow a bit. One was an ericifoloia, one a spinulosa and the other a marginata. They were in half potting mix and half river sand. We have had a lot of rain here in Brissy since Christmas - is too much water a possible cause. They died pretty quickly - they looked fine but within a week they were all brown. Any ideas ?

Tony
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

it does sound like root rot to me mate, it takes only 7-10 days to have the fungi take over the whole root system and it can be fatal.

jamie
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

That's what I thought - I didn't have any trouble with any other plants in ordinary pots or bonsia pots - are banksias really susceptible to it ?
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

not sure, only had one for about three hours now :lol:

grant wrote an article on them, you should be able to find it pretty easy i did, just do a search on banksia.

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Kunzea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Too many!
Bonsai Age: 47

Post by Kunzea »

Hi All
Sounds like root rot. It could be cinnamon fungus. Deadly to the banksia family. Wet conditions really favour the fungus, so your weather might have been all that was necessary to give the fungus the upper hand, so to speak. The fungus occurs widely in Australia and may lie dormant, or not troublesome for some time. Then when conditions are right, off it goes and so do the susceptible plants.

You can try certain fungicides. Talk to your nursery to see if they have any. Others on this forum may have the names, I just can't remember them off hand.
Kunzea
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

Hi all,

Yes sounds like root rot to me. Treat with Fongarid.

Most of the banksia mentioned (except integrifolia, the coastal banksia) come from drier parts of the country with lower overnight temperatures. You have heat and humidity. I have seen ericifolia in the snow in the Blue Mountains, and the best Marginata over the great Dividing Range around Albury NSW.

They should grow OK in WA because it is hot but not as humid.

I think you are at the extreme limits of their range and may experience problems because of it.

Cedars for instance mostly dont like where you live.

Figs dont like Canberra and we handle them in a different way.

Larch should grow OK in Canberra but this year a number of people have lost them, possibly due to average hotter overnight temperatures than they can stand. They love the cold and we may not be cold enough.

We should start a thread about plants being grown at the extreme of their natural range or totally out of it.

Grant
Woz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Woz »

Hey Jamie if your cutting it back hard chuck the cuttings in some propogation mix with some rooting hormone. I took these cuttings at the end of december and they are slowly thowing new buds out...
DSC01513.JPG
DSC01514.JPG
DSC01515.JPG
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Hi Grant thank you for a very informative reply. What about banksia seratta ? I had a starter in a training pot a while ago and it did the same thing. You are correct about the integrifolia - we have a couple growing in our garden really well. Jamie sent me link to the atricle you wrote and it was great. I love this site !

Tony
Regards Tony

NBPCA
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

Bougy Fan wrote:Hi Grant thank you for a very informative reply. What about banksia seratta ? I had a starter in a training pot a while ago and it did the same thing. You are correct about the integrifolia - we have a couple growing in our garden really well. Jamie sent me link to the atricle you wrote and it was great. I love this site !

Tony
Try Banksia aemula, the Wallum banksia. It grows in swamps along the coast all the way up to Maroochydoore and used to be called Serratfolia as the foliage looks the same. A few minor differences but suited to your climate.

There are other coastal banksias you could try as well, plus some equvalents to integrifolia up your way. I would have to consult my books,

Grant

Return to “Banksia”