An update on my banksia

Ericifolia, Integrifolia, Marginata, Serrata, Spinulosa etc
Naym
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 6

An update on my banksia

Post by Naym »

A few of you helped me identify this tree (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3316) and get it to good health (with the iron) so here is an update on how it is going.
banksia_20100808.jpg
As you can see it is a much healthier tree now (and bigger, that's the same pot). It had a good growing season and in addition I was able to remove the two secondary trunks off to become two new trees :) It has been dormant for a month or two and is still in the same pot in the same rubbish soil. So now that it has recovered once the next growth season starts it will get repotted and cut back so I can start making something of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Re: An update on my banksia

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Naym, your banksia looks really healthy. Now its time to give it a big chop, if you cut it back really hard and get some branches down low then the trunk will start to swell. With all the branches high up as it is now you will never get good taper or a really thick trunk. Banksia integrifolia can get great trunks but you need to get the branches at the base of the tree then gradually build it up.
Craigw
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Post by Waltron »

Hi Graig, thanks for the info here. I have a 6 foot high root-bound B.Integrifolia I am planning to chop back hard to the bare trunk and repot/heavy root prune. In this article it says to wait for the warmer months before repotting or hard pruning. Will it really matter providing good after care is taken? Do you think I should chop back to the bare trunk now and do the root work in early summer? The tree is in good health and is just about to bud burst.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Waltron, you should definitely wait for the warm weather. September in Melbourne can be our coldest and wettest month and you could could do your tree real harm by potting it now. Better to be patient and do both the roots and the top when we have some consistent warm weather.
Craigw
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Post by Waltron »

Cheers.
Naym
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 6

Post by Naym »

craigw60 wrote:Hi Naym, your banksia looks really healthy. Now its time to give it a big chop, if you cut it back really hard and get some branches down low then the trunk will start to swell. With all the branches high up as it is now you will never get good taper or a really thick trunk. Banksia integrifolia can get great trunks but you need to get the branches at the base of the tree then gradually build it up.
Craigw
That's the plan, I'm just waiting for it's next growing season to start.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Return to “Banksia”