Fig defoliation and re-pot

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 0

Fig defoliation and re-pot

Post by kez »

Hey folks,

Just a quick question to clarify,

I have a couple of figs that will be getting a re-pot this coming season and I also intend to defoliate them at least once. I was just wondering what everyone's opinions are on what order to do this in. I was thinking re-pot early in the season to allow the tree a chance to re-establish before defoliation but I'm not 100% sure. Would it be better to do them both at the same time, or would the other way around (defol and then repot) be preferable.

Just to clarify, my goal with repotting is purely aesthetic, defoliation will be with the aim of leaf reduction and ramification

Cheers,

Kerrin
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Club: IBS

Re: Fig defoliation and re-pot

Post by DavidWilloughby »

Hi Kez,

For me, this is about the time I start to defoliate my figs that are in good health but you just have to keep an eye out for frosts and cold snaps which will damage new foliage. I usually do a second one in December and if the tree needs repotting, I will repot it in September or October, once it has warmed up consistently enough.

You can get away with almost anything with a fig, but its the aftercare that has to vary.

Cheers

David
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers

Re: Fig defoliation and re-pot

Post by kez »

Thanks David,

I might get to work then

PS. I like your willow leaf, looking forward to seeing where you take it :yes: