My Crape Myrtle needs some alot of work .Any ideas?

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
SpongeMann
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: My Crape Myrtle needs some alot of work .Any ideas?

Post by SpongeMann »

Andrew F . Really everyone uses the same stuff as you guys in Australia. There are many bonsai soil wholesalers in the U.S. I noticed alot of people adding a little bit of organics in florida since its so hot out here in the summer. I am experimenting on a few plants with pumice coarse builders sand and a little ground up deer moss. The trees seem to love it i am getting feeder roots like crazy because of the sand and the pumice and the deer moss hold the moisture . The moss also lets more oxygen in. Im am trying differant mixes of mediums.
Ken wow rhought it was late spring over there.
Webos Yes I noticed that this summer. I finally had the feeding down and the tree went bananas. It was short its whole life but after feeding it grew 1foot and a half braches everywhere. So I started keeping an eye on it more often . I noticed that I pruned it right before it was going to bud and the flowers grew close to the foliage. But the other crapes I have growing free grew the flower inches over the canopy. Since then I prune right before flowering.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”