My first Root Over Rock (ROR)

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Jimbomelville
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia & ficus
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

My first Root Over Rock (ROR)

Post by Jimbomelville »

12 months ago I got inspired to create a ROR after watching my brother-in-law, who has had bonsai for about 20 years, unearth one of his latest creations.
Being the kind of person who has to do a lot of preparation study before having the confidence to give it ago, I came across vetting styles to do it. The one that interested me the most was the use of alfoil with no moss or soil over the roots.
I had a few interesting rocks and decided to create four, each being a different type of tree. This one is the Schefflera Arboricola or miniature umbrella, also a Port Jackson Fig, a Little Ruby and a Long Island Fig.
This is about the Schefflera.
Here are some pics.
Firstly the tree still in the pot. You can see the alfoil enclosing the tree. There is no soil on the inside of the alfoil. The tree & roots are wired and taped to the rock. The pressure of the soil on the outside places pressure on the roots to keep them against the rock.
Once the pot was removed you can see the alfoil covering the top 3" of the plant then open to the soil.
Imagem
Once the alfoil is removed you can see the wire & graft tape.
It was very firm on the rock so I removed the wire & tape and small hair roots.
Then into a cheap Chinese pot for its first year. Front.
RHS.
Back.
LHS.
I am pretty pleased with it so far.
And the alfoil method seems to work well.
Jimbo
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: My first Root Over Rock (ROR)

Post by alpineart »

Hi Jimbo , mate the idea of the foil is to clasp the new roots to the rock without having to use tape or wire . You have basically created a ROR by wiring and taping the larger roots onto the rock . The foil is just a decoration in this case. When using the foil a seedling is used and the fine roots are placed strategically over the rock and foil applied , then press against the rock to ensure a snug fitment . This is then buried with the top open to allow watering , miss a couple of waterings inside the foil and the seedling/plant dies .

Cheers . Alpineart
Jimbomelville
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia & ficus
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Re: My first Root Over Rock (ROR)

Post by Jimbomelville »

Hi Alpineart,
I guess I combined a couple of techniques into one.
The wire held the plant tightly onto the rock, the tape held the in close at the bottom. The alfoil kept the soil off the rock and forced the roots to seek moisture from the rock as they grew into the base soil.
I"ll keep experimenting.
Cheers.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”