Plant over rock bonsai

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Marz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 18

Plant over rock bonsai

Post by Marz »

Hi Everyone,
For many years now, I have been awed by bonsai growing over rocks...the gnarly roots and disfigured trees trying to adapt to where its was cast as a seed.

Upon a recent visit to Cambodia and the Angkor Wat temple complex, I came home with the resolve that, not only was I going to attempt this, but I was going to make it look like the trees growing over the Bayon Temple and the many surrounding gates. The image I have attached is on the East Gate (or West Gate.. there are so many!). I have managed to find a fish tank replica of this gate (18cm x 10cm x 24cm high).

So, before I get started, I just wanted to know if there is anything I should know or be made aware of regarding this technique? I am planning on using one of my ficus (morton bay fig) 3yo starters. They are about 15cm tall with nicely developed trunks.

Many thanks in advance
Marz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Re: Plant over rock bonsai

Post by Redsonic »

I have 3 of these on the go at the moment. Bonsai newbie, and first time trying this technique, so I don't have any experience. I tacked the roots in place onto the aquarium ornament using plasticine, covered them in alfoil, and partially buried the whole thing. The figs are growing well, but I imagine it will be next Summer before I get another look at the roots. They are in grow pots at the moment, but I will display them on trays or shallow pots.
My biggest concern is longevity of the resin "ruins"; how do they hold up in the sun?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Figs are relatively easy to grow root over rock. The roots tend to stay where you put them and just grow thicker so you can just drape the roots over the rock and hold the roots against the rock any way you like but I find wrapping with al foil is the easiest way to get the roots where you want them. Here's a thread showing how: http://shibuibonsai.com.au/growing-root ... ck-bonsai/

Be wary of letting roots grow through any holes in your rock. Growing roots exert tremendous pressure and they will soon crack the rock and break bits off which can ruin the effect.
Fig roots also thicken and merge together quite a lot in a short time so don't put too many roots over the rock or the rock will soon disappear inside a solid mass of roots.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by sheepdawg »

How long should I wait after planting a ficus on a rock? I've used small plants and put them into large pots and I might let their roots escape from early spring. So I was thinking I could pull them up at the end of spring (if it's a warm spring) to mid-summer because their roots will thicken quickly and fig roots tend to "grasp" things really well. Or should I wait longer?
Marz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 18

Post by Marz »

Thanks for the tips and the link. I'll be sure to give a progess report once the ornament arrives.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I would probably check progress after the first year to check that the roots are where they should be - after another year it might be impossible to move them. Occasionally a critical root will have died off and new ones will form, often where you did not want them.
Remember NOT to cover the best features of the rock with roots. We want to see the rock in future so place roots where they look natural but leave the best parts of the rock exposed.

One of the features of figs is that the roots thicken even above ground so you don't really need to have them covered like maples. Just make sure there is enough pressure on the roots so that they stay in close contact with the rock while they grow and thicken. that means that if you are happy with root placement you could lift the rock up to finished level after year 1 and enjoy the tree while it develops.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all mostly natives
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Newcastle (paid but not regular)

Post by Rintar »

Very cool got a link for the aquarium piece. I have been looking for similar things for a while.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
Regards Jason
Not yet a Novice but keen to be one

https://www.instagram.com/backyardbonsaiaustralia/

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”