Concave cut or leave a stub and then cut?

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Concave cut or leave a stub and then cut?

Post by pureheart »

Hello!

I need some help I’m still confused on why I should leave a stub when cutting if I’m then anyways using the concave cutter to remove it later on... I mean can’t I use the concave cutter and seal ? What’s the difference? If i leave a stub and then I use the concave cutter I’m still cutting the alive part of the plant. If I don’t need new shoots from the base of the stub why should I not use the concave cutter straight away?
Why they say to always leave a stub on maples? ( I know I need to leave it if I want buds but what if I don’t want to?)

Thanks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Concave cut or leave a stub and then cut?

Post by pureheart »

No one? Was my question unclear?

Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

I think the stub on maples is like insurance as they will/can/do die back to the next node, so if you want more shoots you should cut just above the node where you require them and then tidy up when you get ‘em. (New shoots that is)
pureheart wrote:If I don’t need new shoots from the base of the stub why should I not use the concave cutter straight away?
Absolutely no idea because in that situation I have always used my concave cutter. If you don’t need new shoots and are cutting flush back to the trunk/branch why wouldn’t you? The point of the concave cutter is to create a cut that will heal flat (at least “flattish”) when the wound heals, perfect for cutting back as described in your post.
Last edited by Ryceman3 on June 18th, 2018, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

My understanding of leaving a stub is help prevent die back. If you cut straight away back to the trunk, the tissue around the cut can dry out quickly as it is orientated to supply water/nutrients to the branch. If you leave a stub, the tree has a chance to redirect the flow of both the phloem and xylem so that when you then cut back with your concave cutters it will have less chance of drying out and heal much quicker. How true this is I can't say for sure. There are many different opinions on the right way to do most things in Bonsai, like to use or not use cut paste. And people will advocate one or the other with complete conviction without proof or even evidence.

Small branches I always cut back straight away. Large branches it depends on species and how vigorous the tree is. Pines I leave a stub as that is what I learnt to do. Figs I will cut back to trunk/main branch in one go if it's warm, but if its cooler and I'm just tidying them up a little for winter I leave a stub. I don't have much luck with maples in my warm humid environment. Maybe you could give both a go and see which produces the best result for you.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

Thanks that’s starting to make sense now...

MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Ok ...caveat ...amateur thoughts follow; read but ...in truth, you'd be better to follow those with more experience.

I reckon Ryceman3 is spot on with Japanese Maples it is about dieback. Same goes for Dansai - they reflect my understanding too.

I think it's species dependant. For example on Satsuki Azalea my understanding it better not to use a concave cutter at all - flat or even convex is better because of the manner in which they heal. Some trees heal over concave cut not Satsuki Azalea.

I better stop ... I have limited knowledge and I might be mis-informing but I thought above might help.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”