Passion fruit tree collection.

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
rockkcorful
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 3

Passion fruit tree collection.

Post by rockkcorful »

Hello all I am wondering if anyone has collected a passion fruit tree and used it for bonsai? If so how did it go and what time of year would be best and soil to put it in?
DangerousDave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Passion fruit tree collection.

Post by DangerousDave »

Hi there. To my knowledge, all passionfruit varieties grow on a vine. Some vine-type plants can be shrubby / scrambley and can be worked well into bonsai - Bougainvillea comes to mind. Passion fruit vines are very ‘viney’. I can’t see any way you could work with them to end up with anything that could be called bonsai. Best to just grow it on your fence and enjoy the fruit imo.

There are plenty of good bonsai options for edible fruit trees if that’s your thing.

If the vine-style is your thing then perhaps consider Bougainvillea, wisteria... something like that..

Dave
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: Passion fruit tree collection.

Post by Beano »

Agree. Viney ++ and prolific fruit if you let them go. I had one growing over the washing line in a rental property once. I don’t think you’d find joy bonsaiing one, and the flowers are huge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”