Hard water help!

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: Hard water help!

Post by dansai »

I can't give advice based on experience as I do get a reasonably hot summer but being sub-tropical I usually get good humidity too. I would think the wind would be the biggest issue as it will dry potted trees out extremely quickly. The maple would definitely need more protection than others and even in the shade could burn from just drying out too much. A towel draped over the pot kept damp may be helpful.

There is a recent episode on the Bonsai Wire podcast where Jonas and Andrew talk about protecting trees from heat. It is American, but Jonas lives in California in an area that gets hot dry summers and has just had a couple of years of extreme heat. Andrew grows mostly deciduous. You may find some useful information in their discussion.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Hard water help!!

Post by KIRKY »

Mickeyjaytee wrote: October 6th, 2022, 12:07 am Thank you both for the replies! I really appreciate it! I will definitely get in touch with the club! I’ll also keep you informed on how I go through summer! I have 2 new bonsais and this will be my first summer with them so I’m a tad worried especially when the weather hits 40+.

Instead of making a new post perhaps you guys could help me out with what to do specifically with sun and a Perth summer. Obviously watering 2-3 times a day would be essential but, I’m curious about the sun loving bonsai species. When the temperature reaches say 38+ do I need to place them under shade cloth and will that be enough light for them? My initial concern is that if I have them in the sun the pot would heat up and I worry about root damage. Is this a thing?

Would perhaps just morning sun til lunch be appropriate to keep them healthy?

Complete beginner as I said and it’s hard to find info about Perth. A lot is about the eastern states which don’t really have those dry hot days with the exception of Adelaide. Protection against the easterly winds concerns me too specifically with the maple. I do have a spot but, it’s complete shade and I find even in shade 40 degrees just cooks it’s fragile leaves.

I’m nervous but, really excited about raising my bonsai.

Thank you again for any help!
Well I’m in Melbourne and we do get our fair share of heat. Not sure what you mean by sun loving bonsai?
Natives I keep in full sun all year. The thirstier ones will get a water tray this includes Wisteria. Trees like plums, crab apples, Trident Maples, Pines, Cedars, are also in full sun.
Azaleas, Japanese Maples I have in dappled shade under silver birches. I do also have very large potted (not bonsai) Japanese Maples in full sun. Occasionally they get sun burnt leaves but they drop off and regrow so no problem.
The biggest problem for Japanese Maples is the hot North wind, this will dry out the leaves very quickly. Again they do regrow.
Look at where your bonsai are placed against concrete/brick wall will give you radiated heat that’s also something to be mindful of.
Morning sun afternoon shade is fine for all trees during summer. Probably most ideal for bonsai if you have it.
Biggest issue is water and even on mild days watch for drying pots on windy days.
Again bonsai clubs in your area will be the best source of information on how other people in your region deal with your conditions.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”