Allocasuarina littoralis styling..

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
bonscythe
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Banksia, Melaleuca (Any Aussie Native!)
Bonsai Age: 9

Allocasuarina littoralis styling..

Post by bonscythe »

Hi all,
Just need some help with what im let to believe is an Allocasuarina littoralis I picked up from my new favourite local nursery. I picked it because it was the only one that wasn't straight up & down. The right hand shoot is still quite flexible so I guess a semi-cascade isn't out of the question, although they don't grow like that commonly so I'm lacking inspiration. Will needle (branchlet) placing be a problem with that kind of style?
Any suggestions greatly welcomed!
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Allocasuarina littoralis styling..

Post by Bretts »

I would take it out of it's pot and scrape a bit of soil of the surface. Stick a nice fat piece of wire maybe 3mm into the roots next to the trunk. wrap this nicely up the trunk at a 45 degree angle. Then bend and twist the trunk to add character. Let it grow out some and then chop back to a new leader. Then keep growing.
Oh at some stage you may want to put it back in the pot. ;)
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
BonsaiBoy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by BonsaiBoy »

Id be wiring it and putting some movement in the trunk. once the bends set you could plant it in the garden for a wile and let it fatten up.
Dont rush it into a bonsai pot cause it wont fatten up much. I made this mistake early on :(
:mrgreen: BB
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

good advice bb and brett. i can only add to use 2 * 3mm wire round the trunk and not next to each other but seperate so your covering more surface area. give this tree support and stong enough wire these trunks bend no prob. once every so often twist and bend some more. good luck look forward to seeing more of it. :D
Regards Antonio:
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

bonscythe wrote:Will needle (branchlet) placing be a problem with that kind of style?
G'day Pat,

From my experience, you will have no problems growing new branchlets where you need then. The problem you will have is rubbing all the new growth off where you don't want it :lol:

How's it looking now? Have you done any work on it yet?

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”