Sick Scots Pine

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Elias
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: 0

Sick Scots Pine

Post by Elias »

Hi All,

I got this guys last year and I finally had some time to work on it so I potted him up, this was around March.
I noticed recently it has started getting these brown tips at the ends of the needles, I am being extra careful with watering as I think this was the cause of the problem....
Anyways I just wanted to get some advice on what I should do... I'm thinking its a form of Needle Cast...? I was going to spray with a copper based fungicide but I thought I better enquire before doing so...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Sick Scots Pine

Post by Grant Bowie »

Question. Is the damage only on last years needles or is it on this years new growth as well.
Elias
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elias »

The affected needles are most of the old ones, the new ones don't have any discolouring...
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

eliast wrote:The affected needles are most of the old ones, the new ones don't have any discolouring...
Good, it may just be dropping its older needles after the recent repot in March. Do not over handle the tree so soon after repotting as it will still be a bit unstable in the pot. Do not cut off or pluck off the old needles in this case. You need to get the roots going and the more foliage the better.

Were the roots and soil OK? Did you cut a lot of foliage off?

If you think it is needle cast (Dothistroma) then a spray with Co-cide Blue will stop transmission to the new growth.
Elias
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elias »

The roots were quite healthy, the soil wasn't great prior to repotting.
I didn't trim much foliage as most of the work was done last year along with a bit styling, I thought it would be better for the tree to not to do a root trim and foliage trim at the same time...

I suppose it doesn't hurt to use the fungicide, although if it was infected from some form of fungi this would also affect the new foliage as well as the old foliage....?

Hmm I have moved it around a bit, although it is stable in the current pot, but i suppose it doesn't take much movement to break the new roots..
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

hey el this is natural for the repot this time of the year. scotts will always enjoy it more nov to middle dec here. just nurse it along now come spring it will brighten up again. its just sooking, some do. :D
Regards Antonio:

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”